(S HERBROOKIENSIS ).
Diocese in the Province of Quebec, suffragan of the Archdiocese of Montreal, erected by Pius IX, 28 Aug., 1874, formed of parts of the Dioceses of Three Rivers , St. Hyacinthe, and Quebec, and including that part of the Province of Quebec known as the Eastern Townships, renowned for the fertility of their soil, for their industry, and commerce. At present it comprises 74 parishes. The first missionaries who visited the territory now within the limits of the Diocese of Sherbrooke were Rev. Jean Raymbault (1816-23), John Holmes (1823-27), Michael Power (1827-31), Hugh Paisley (1831-32), Hubert Robson (1832-34). The last three died, martyrs of their zeal, attending the fever-stricken Irish in 1847. From 1834 till 1874 a great many missionaries labored with indefatigable zeal attending the Catholic population, which was thinly scattered over this immense tract of land. Roads in many places were unknown, and the missionaries had to travel on horseback or on foot, through dense forests infested with wolves, bears, and other savage animals.
Born at St. Ambrose, Quebec, 26 Jan., 1822; ordained priest at Quebec, 12 Sept., 1844; elected Bishop of Sherbrooke, 1 Sept., 1874; consecrated by Cardinal Taschereau, 18 Oct., 1874; governed the See of Sherbrooke during nineteen years, d. 17 July, 1893. The following extract from his funeral oration, delivered by Mgr. Bernard O'Reilly, gives us an idea of the precepts this good bishop fulfilled in his career: "Yes, I must be a bishop without stain or blemish in my whole life; a man adorned with every virtue, and with all the graces of wisdom; a man modest, affable and of the most perfect moderation in his lofty dignity; a man who is an enemy to contestation and trouble, an angel of peace and conciliation; a man who is a stranger to self-interest and generous toward the Church and the poor ; a man full of the knowledge of Holy Writ , of the unction of the Divine Word in all his pastoral teaching; a man solely intent on sanctifying his people, on rearing a clergy of model priests by giving them in his own person the example of the most edifying zeal and of a shining piety ".(2) Paul S. La Rocque
Born at Sainte Marie de Monnoir, 28 Oct., 1846; ordained priest, 9 May, 1869; elected Bishop of Sherbrooke, 6 Oct., 1893; consecrated on the 30 Nov. of the same year. Bishop La Rocque has continued the good work undertaken by his predecessor, and Sherbrooke is progressing wonderfully.
When the diocese was erected, in 1874, there were but 28 secular priests and 26 parishes with resident priests ; today there are 122 secular priests, 74 parishes, and 8 missions. The Catholic population in 1874 numbered 29,000; now it is 85 000. In 1874 there were only 130 schools with an attendance of 4000 pupils; now there are 369 schools, 1 college, 1 seminary, 12 academies, and 9 boarding-schools, with an attendance of 16,000 pupils. The Brothers of the Sacred Heart have 10 schools in the diocese. In all the principal towns there are convents wherein young girls get an excellent training. The different orders of nuns who have houses in the diocese are: Congregation de Notre Dame, Soeurs de la Presentation, Soeurs de l'Assomption, Soeurs des SS. Noms de Jesus-Marie, Filles de la Charite de Jesus, Soeurs de la Charite, Soeurs du Precieux Sang, Soeurs de la Sainte Famille, whose mother-house is in Sherbrooke. The Missionaires de la Salette have charge of the Sacred HeartParish, Stanstead. The Redemptorist Fathers have also taken charge of a parish, and in the future their novitiate will be in Sherbrooke instead of Montreal. The Irish Brothers of the Presentation are opening a school in the city of Sherbrooke for the English speaking children. The diocese has also an Old Folks' Home, an Orphans' Home, and a hospital second to none in the Dominion of Canada.
The Catholic Encyclopedia is the most comprehensive resource on Catholic teaching, history, and information ever gathered in all of human history. This easy-to-search online version was originally printed in fifteen hardcopy volumes.
Designed to present its readers with the full body of Catholic teaching, the Encyclopedia contains not only precise statements of what the Church has defined, but also an impartial record of different views of acknowledged authority on all disputed questions, national, political or factional. In the determination of the truth the most recent and acknowledged scientific methods are employed, and the results of the latest research in theology, philosophy, history, apologetics, archaeology, and other sciences are given careful consideration.
No one who is interested in human history, past and present, can ignore the Catholic Church, either as an institution which has been the central figure in the civilized world for nearly two thousand years, decisively affecting its destinies, religious, literary, scientific, social and political, or as an existing power whose influence and activity extend to every part of the globe. In the past century the Church has grown both extensively and intensively among English-speaking peoples. Their living interests demand that they should have the means of informing themselves about this vast institution, which, whether they are Catholics or not, affects their fortunes and their destiny.
Copyright © Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company New York, NY. Volume 1: 1907; Volume 2: 1907; Volume 3: 1908; Volume 4: 1908; Volume 5: 1909; Volume 6: 1909; Volume 7: 1910; Volume 8: 1910; Volume 9: 1910; Volume 10: 1911; Volume 11: - 1911; Volume 12: - 1911; Volume 13: - 1912; Volume 14: 1912; Volume 15: 1912
Catholic Online Catholic Encyclopedia Digital version Compiled and Copyright © Catholic Online