Singer Elton John denounced as the 'Devil's Work' by Russian religious leader
Islamic religious leader has called for boycott of John's Russian tour
Openly homosexual singer Elton John is planning a tour of Russia - and an Islamic religious leader there has dubbed him "the devil's work." Conservative imam Seidzhagfar Lutfullin from Russia's predominantly Muslim Tartarstan region has called for a boycott of John's concerts in Moscow and Kazan in early December.
"Sodomy...is what the world famous homosexual Elton John, (sic) who recently wed a man in public, is promoting," the imam said in remarks published on the Web site of Kazan's Thousandth Anniversary of Islam Mosque.
The imam called for followers to stay away from the music star's Kazan concert, scheduled for December 8, a day after his show at Moscow's Crocus City Hall venue.
The 66-year-old John has been a highly visible proponent for homosexual equivalency. Currently in a British civil partnership with his partner David Furnish, the two men have a three-year old son, Zachary, born in California in 2010 via a surrogate mother.
Fueling the controversy is the fact that John says he will defend homosexual equivalency during his Russian tour. This taunts recent Russian rulings that could land him 15 days in prison and an $150 fine. Newly adopted laws in Russia prevent the promotion of homosexuality to children.
Another Russian religious group, the Christian group Union of Orthodox Brotherhoods, called for a ban on John's concerts. "The statement by this gay guy - Elton John - about his support for gays and other perverts during the upcoming concert in Moscow is an insult to all Russian citizens," the group's coordinator said.
Adding to the chorus of condemnation is the Ural Parents Committee, which has called on Russian president Vladimir Putin to keep John from performing the Kazan concert.
Madonna, Rammstein and Lady Gaga are among international musical acts that have made statements supporting homosexual equivalency at recent Russian gigs - but have escaped prosecution.
Knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 1998, Elton John has sold more than 300 million records worldwide during his 40-year career.
Click here to learn about our Saint Michael the Archangel conference this Nov 1-3!
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Music News
- What's love got to do with it? Tina Turner relinquishes U.S. citizenship
- Swedish super group ABBA may reunite next year
- John McVie stricken: Fleetwood Mac cancels tour dates
- Influential rocker Lou Reed dies at 71
- Singer Rihanna poses for naughty, haughty photos at mosque - and is accused of disrespect
- Singer Elton John denounced as the 'Devil's Work' by Russian religious leader
- 'Say no when you are asked to prostitute yourself' singer Sinead O'Connor tells Miley Cyrus
- Parkinson's disease robs Linda Ronstadt of her ability to sing
- Devo drummer, who exhorted others to 'Whip It' dies
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?