COL EXCLUSIVE: Fr. Pontifex - See what this priest does to deliver his powerful message
COL: How does your Bishop feel about your work?
Fr. Pontifex: My Bishop has been supportive. I've been sure to run my scripts by his desk before going public with the videos. I try to keep him informed as I am asked to speak in different places. Overall he is very supportive and at the same time I think he finds it a bit surprising. It is a rather unique form of expression for a priest.
COL: How large is your fan base?
Fr. Pontifex: That's a good question. I am really amazed at the number of people who recognize me when I am at Catholic events. It seems to happen more an more as the videos are rolled out. I have people that send me emails, tweets (@frpontifex), and Facebook messages from all over the world. From Australia to Africa to all parts of Europe and then throughout the U.S. it is rather surreal. I just keep praying, serving and expressing myself and really focus on staying humble. It's not about me it is about Jesus Christ. I never want to lose that focus.
COL: Has anyone told you that your video had an impact? What happened for that person?
Fr. Pontifex: Each of the videos has a different focus but at the heart of them all is the truth and love of Jesus in the Church. I have received many messages from people that have decided to become Catholic, to return to the Catholic Church, have questioned their atheistic stances, have felt comforted that they are loved, and have expressed that they have been inspired. Those messages are the ones that keep us focused on producing more videos, more music and more messages. It makes every hour worth it. It's the only thing that matters really.
COL: Do you have any plans for the future? If so, what are they?
Fr. Pontifex: As I said early I am currently working on a follow up album. I just finished a series for each week of Advent with Spirit Juice Studios. We plan to record more Spoken Word Videos in 2013, hopefully traveling to some new places and embracing the challenges that face our Church. Personally, I have been doing many speaking engagements and hope to add more of those to my schedule for the upcoming year. I just want to stay open to what God has in store. It truly is an adventure every step of the way.
COL: What music is on your iPod?
Fr. Pontifex: I am very eclectic in my musical taste. I listen to Matt Maher, HIllsong, Lecrae, Playdough and a few other Christian Artists, Bob Dylan, Mumford and Sons, Adele, Coldplay, U2, Radiohead, STP, Kenny Loggins greatest hits, Bibio, some Kanye West, the Fugees, and ton of instrumentals for new tracks I'm working right now.
I also have many Catholic rap artists from phatmass.com in my playlist. We have some great up and coming artists and I'll just name a few, Foundnation, Akalyte, Sammy Blaze, Move Merchants, and many others. You gotta check out the music page on the site. It's an up and coming movement.
COL: Please tell us a few more things about yourself that our readers might like to know.
Fr. Pontifex: I'm just a regular guy, living out my vocation. I pray everyday that I stay grounded in my faith and remain authentic. I love the challenges and the blessings of priesthood and the Pontifex Project is just an extra gift from God. I am always blow away by his love and generosity to me. I do not deserve it.
COL: Fr. Pontifex, thank you for your time and God bless you for the work you are doing. We look forward to your next video.
You may friend Fr. Pontifex on Facebook: www.facebook.com/frpontifex and follow him on Twitter: @frpontifex And visit his website at: www.frpontifex.com
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Fr. Pontifex, spoken word, poetry, video
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Vocations News
- Archbishop Josť H. Gomez on Praying for Priests and Promoting Vocations
- COL EXCLUSIVE: Fr. Pontifex - See what this priest does to deliver his powerful message
- Sisters of Bon Secours Host Project Good Help to Assist Underserved in Baltimore
- Benedictine Monks from Oklahoma Move to Ireland's Stamullen Priory
- Benedictine Monks from Oklahoma Become Missionaries to the Irish Church
- Knights of the Holy Eucharist Announce Facebook Page
- Child Casket Fund: Trappist Monks of New Melleray Practice the Corporal Works of Mercy
- Melkite Catholic Church to Ordain Married Men to the Priesthood in the US
- Trappist Monks and Nuns Revive Interest in Monastic Vocations Online
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?