Skip to content
Catholic Online Logo

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

9/18/2013 (1 year ago)

Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

Excavations begun in 1986 have yielded priceless mosaics and iron artifacts

The ancient city of Umm al-Rasas in Jordan has yielded a treasure trove of Byzantine artifacts ever since excavations began there in 1986. Much of the ancient city still remains buried under rubble. Visitors to the site today can see a plethora of discovered mosaics and relics of the Iron Age.

Beautiful mosaics have been found at the site.

Beautiful mosaics have been found at the site.

Highlights

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

9/18/2013 (1 year ago)

Published in Travel

Keywords: Jordan, Iron Age, Byzantine period, mosaics, Umm al-Rasas


LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Also spelled Umm ar-Rasas and Um er-Rasas, the area was declared a World Heritage Site in 2004. Its structures date between the Third to Ninth centuries. Still much more remains to be excavated and valued. Magnificent Byzantine mosaics have been uncovered here in two churches here, dating from the Sixth and Eighth centuries.


Enclosed inside a wall with gates on the north, Umm al-Rasas has more structures spreading outside the walls to the north. Focusing their work on the Byzantine churches, archaeologists have concentrated on four of the 11 walls. In addition to the churches, two oil presses and a winery have been uncovered.


The most noteworthy ruins found thus far are two churches built into the east wall, the Church of the Rivers and the Church of the Palm Tree. Both are named for their mosaics and date from the Sixth century. 

Outside the northeast corner of the walls is the Church of the Lions, named for its mosaic of two lions. In the northeastern corner of the site, are the two most famous churches at Umm al-Rasas - the Church of Bishop Sergius and the Church of St. Stephen, sheltered under a green hangar.



Next to its altar of Bishop Sergius' Church, which dates to 587 AD is a rectangular mosaic floor decorated with rams, pomegranate trees, and an inscription dating the mosaics to the time of Bishop Sergius. 

The celebrated Church of St. Stephen, from 785 AD has a magnificent mosaic floor throughout the interior. The inscription helped identify Umm ar-Rasas as the ancient city of Kastron Mefaa. Below the inscription are the outlines of donor portraits, which were removed by iconoclasts -- and fruit trees.



Umm ar-Rasas has been inhabited since at least the Iron Age or Seventh Century, as attested by artifacts such as a basalt pillar base and a stone scarab. In ancient times, it was a Moabite town called Kastron Mefaa. The prophet Jeremiah mentioned the city (as "Mephaath") in his condemnation of Moab (Jeremiah 48:21). The 4th-century church historian Eusebius once recorded that a Roman army unit was stationed here.

Two square towers north of Umm al-Rasas were probably used by the stylite hermits, who once flourished in Jordan. These ascetics spent many years living in austerity atop a pillar, often attracting many admirers below. The most famous of these hermits is St. Simeon. The Stylites' church still survives in Syria.



UNESCO notes that these towers are "probably the only remains of the practice." 

Click here to learn about our Saint Michael the Archangel conference this Nov 1-3!


---


Pope Francis: end world hunger through 'Prayer and Action'


© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM

Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for October 2014
Peace:
That the Lord may grant peace to those parts of the world most battered by war and violence.
World Mission Day: That World Mission Day may rekindle in every believer zeal for carrying the Gospel into all the world.



Comments


More Travel

The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes Watch

Image of The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes was founded to aid pilgrims who were traveling to Lourdes.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes is an area of ground surrounding the shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes in the town of Lourdes, France. This ground is owned and administrated by the Roman Catholic Church, and has several functions, including devotional ... continue reading


The Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe Watch

Image of The Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe is founded near where a apparition is believed to have appeared near Saint Juan Diego.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

The Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe is a Roman Catholic church, a minor basilica, and a National Shrine of Mexico to the north of Mexico City. It is one of the most important and most visited pilgrimage sites in Catholicism. The Basilica is visited by millions ... continue reading


The apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary at Fatima Watch

Image of Francisco Marto, along with hist sister Jacinto, and their cousin Lucia dos Santos, reported seeing an apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary and angels.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

Francisco Marto (June 11, 1908-April 4, 1919) and his sister Jacinta Marto (March 11, 1910-February 20, 1920), also known as Blessed Francisco Marto and Blessed Jacinta Marto, together with their cousin, LĂșcia dos Santos (1907-2005) were the children from ... continue reading


The Church of St. James the Greater Watch

Image of The Church of St. James the Greater has been the site of numerous holy apparitions.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

The Apostle St. James the Greater, of whom the church of St. James in Medjugorje was dedicated, is the Patron Saint of Pilgrims. This is just one of many acts of God's providence that helps to reveal the larger picture behind the events of Medjugorje. LOS ... continue reading


St. Michael's Mount Watch

Image of St. Michael's Mount is located on an area that is supposedly part of a mythical kingdom that was destroyed by the sea.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

St Michael's Mount is a tidal island located 366 meters, (400 yd) off the Mount's Bay coast of Cornwall in the United Kingdom. It is a civil parish and is united with the town of Marazion by a man-made causeway of granite setts, passable between mid-tide and low ... continue reading


St. Peter's Basilica Watch

Image of St. Peter's Basilica is considered the most Holy site in Catholicism and a marvel of Renaissance architecture.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

St. Peter's Basilica, is a Late Renaissance church located within the Vatican City. St. Peter's Basilica has the largest interior of any Christian church in the world. It is regarded as one of the holiest Catholic sites. It has been described as "holding a unique ... continue reading


The Basilica and Expiatory Church of the Holy Family Watch

Image of The Basilica and Expiatory Church of the Holy Family has been under construction since 1882.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

The Basilica and Expiatory Church of the Holy Family is large, Roman Catholic Church in Barcelona, Spain. Although the church is incomplete, it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and in November of 2010 Pope Benedict XVI consecrated the church and proclaimed it a ... continue reading


Ireland's great contribution to European sculpture Watch

Image of The ruins of Monasterboice are the remains of an early, fifth century Christian settlement.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

The historic ruins of Monasterboice are of an early Christian settlement in County Louth in Ireland, north of Drogheda. It was founded in the late fifth century by St. Buite who died around 521, and was an important center of religion and learning until the ... continue reading


Agia Triada Monastery Watch

Image of The monastery is devoted to the Life-Giving spring, Saint John the Theologian, and the Holy Trinity.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

Agia Triada Monastery is a Greek Orthodox monastery in the Akrotiri peninsula in the Chania Prefecture, Crete, Greece. It also contains a museum. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The monastery, which means "Holy Trinity", was built in the 17th century by two ... continue reading


The Tower of David Watch

Image of The Tower of David has been demolished and rebuilt numerous times by the rulers of Jerusalem, including Arabs, Crusaders and Turks.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

The Tower of David is an ancient citadel located near the Jaffa Gate entrance to the Old City of Jerusalem. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Built to strengthen a strategically weak point in the Old City's defenses, the citadel was constructed during the second ... continue reading


All Travel News

Newsletters

Newsletter Sign Up icon

Stay up to date with the latest news, information, and special offers

Daily Readings

Reading 1, Ephesians 6:10-20
10 Finally, grow strong in the Lord, with the ... Read More

Psalm, Psalms 144:1, 2, 9-10
1 [Of David] Blessed be Yahweh, my rock, who trains ... Read More

Gospel, Luke 13:31-35
31 Just at this time some Pharisees came up. 'Go ... Read More

Saint of the Day

Saint of the Day for October 30th, 2014 Image

St. Alphonsus Rodriguez
October 30: Confessor and Jay brother, also called Alonso. He was born in ... Read More

Inform, Inspire & Ignite Logo

Find Catholic Online on Facebook and get updates right in your live feed.

Become a fan of Catholic Online on Facebook


Follow Catholic Online on Twitter and get News and Product updates.

Follow us on Twitter