Mysterious 'Jelly doughnut' on Mars has logical explanation
Odd-shaped rock merely broke off from larger rock
A rock that suddenly appeared on the surface of Mars, captured by the rover Opportunity, dubbed a "jelly doughnut" due to its unusual shape, had scientists scratching their heads. It just - was there, where it had not been four days previously. Sadly, for some, there was a logical explanation behind it.
A crushing disappointment for those who listen to certain talk radio shows in the wee hours of the morning, further images from the rover reveal the original rock that the rover's wheel must have struck.
How'd it get there? Researchers now say Pinnacle Island is a piece of a larger rock, which Opportunity broke and moved with its wheel in early January.
You can buy this beautiful crib medal by going here --
This comes as a crushing disappointment for those who listen to certain talk radio shows in the wee hours of the morning. Further images from the rover reveal the original rock that the rover's wheel must have struck.
"Once we moved Opportunity a short distance, after inspecting Pinnacle Island, we could see directly uphill an overturned rock that has the same unusual appearance," Ray Arvidson of Washington University in St. Louis said in a statement. "We drove over it. We can see the track. That's where Pinnacle Island came from."
The rover team now plans to drive Opportunity south and uphill to look at exposed rock layers on a slope.
Researchers say that the rock has high levels of manganese and sulfur, which may have been concentrated in the rock because of water.
"This may have happened just beneath the surface relatively recently," Arvidson said, "or it may have happened deeper below ground longer ago and then, by serendipity, erosion stripped away material above it and made it accessible to our wheels."
Opportunity weighs 384 pounds and measures about 5 feet in length and height, celebrating 10 years since its January 25, 2004, landing. Opportunity's twin, Spirit, landed on January 4, 2004.
Spirit stopped communicating in 2010, but Opportunity continues to reveal details about the Red Planet's former habitable conditions.
Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action'...
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Debate between scientists over details of evolution becomes heated
- DRAMATIC DEATH IN SPACE - Astronomers watch as an entire galaxy bleeds to death before their eyes
- Duck and Cover! Asteroid 2014 DX110 will buzz Earth today and you can watch it happen!
- 330-foot long aircraft hailed the largest in the world
- GIBBERISH! More than 100 articles in scientific journals found to balderdash
- New super pill could prolong human longevity
- Vintage cheese - found on the chests of 3,500-year-old mummies!
- Boeing producing 'BLACK' a super-spy phone worthy of James Bond
- Why the Kepler planet discovery changes ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?