China to begin producing 'designer babies' in horrific scheme
Parents will be able to pick smart children and discard the rest.
In the 1980s they were referred to as "designer babies" and became a staple of period science fiction. The idea was that someday soon, scientists would be able to manipulate the genetic code of a baby before birth to ensure that child had the right color eyes, hair, and traits that the parents wanted. It would be like ordering from an a-la-carte menu. Well, the future has arrived.
Someday, it may be considered normal by many people to concoct babies in test tubes and discard millions of other children in the process.
The practice is set to begin in China where one firm is seeking people with certain traits in an effort to isolate their best genes and help parents pick embryos with those preferred genes.
The entire notion is troubling, especially since multiple children could be created in a lab just to test and choose one.
The Chinese firm, Beijing Genetics Institute (BGI) is said to be the world's largest genetic institute and reportedly already has samples of over 2,000 high IQ individuals. Scientists hope to compare their genes to those of "average" people to determine what sets the smart ones apart. Once they know, then they will know what traits to look for in an embryo. That will allow parents to pick children with high IQs, and discard the rest.
The firm already has $1.5 billion from the China Development Bank. While most of the world sees this as a scandalous thing, it is hardly so in China where the vast majority of the people are accustomed for forced abortions and other harsh reproductive measures that destroy life.
Amid those draconian laws, it is understandable to see that people would want the best possible child with preferred traits, including IQ, since they can often only have one. However, the entire policy in China is barbaric and a great black mark upon a society and a culture that should otherwise be praised for its many virtues and accomplishments.
If successful in China, the practice is expected to spread.
Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action'...
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- DRAMATIC DEATH IN SPACE - Astronomers watch as an entire galaxy bleeds to death before their eyes
- Duck and Cover! Asteroid 2014 DX110 will buzz Earth today and you can watch it happen!
- GIBBERISH! More than 100 articles in scientific journals found to balderdash
- New super pill could prolong human longevity
- 330-foot long aircraft hailed the largest in the world
- Vintage cheese - found on the chests of 3,500-year-old mummies!
- Boeing producing 'BLACK' a super-spy phone worthy of James Bond
- Why the Kepler planet discovery changes ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!
- How long before you visit a baby boutique to design your children from genetic scrap?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?