Radar reveals massive ice tunnels under Antarctica, but WHO or WHAT created them and WHY?
Scientists in Antarctica discover an icy mystery.
Scientists using radar to peer underneath the Antarctic ice shelves have located massive channels cut into the ice deep below the surface. The find is a surprise to scientists who are interested in learning more about the incredibly large channels.
The amazingly huge tunnels were discovered by a British team using an airplane with ground-penetrating radar to look beneath the ice.
The tunnels are very large, being described as arching 820 feet high, but still far under the depth of the ice sheets that cover Antarctica. At that height, the Eiffel tower could stand inside the channels and a river could flow inside them.
In fact, a river may be the creative force behind the channels which are thought to be running through the tunnels, carving them out.
Scientists say they now believe that meltwater flows under the ice through these channels instead of flowing evenly underneath the ice sheets in a continuous layer. By flowing through one spot, they carve out massive caverns under the ice shelves and may play a role in the eventual breakup of the ice.
Researchers now want to see where these channels empty into the ocean, believing they will find massive rivers of freezing water flowing into the ocean from under the ice.
Since the discovery is new many questions remain but they will certainly form the basis for future attempts at research.
Click here to learn about our Saint Michael the Archangel conference this Nov 1-3!
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- SERIOUSLY? Let's fight over who gets to name tiny craters on Mars!
- INTERNET TRIUMPHANT: By 2025, Web will be in every aspect of our lives - for good or ill
- Debate between scientists over details of evolution becomes heated
- DRAMATIC DEATH IN SPACE - Astronomers watch as an entire galaxy bleeds to death before their eyes
- Duck and Cover! Asteroid 2014 DX110 will buzz Earth today and you can watch it happen!
- 330-foot long aircraft hailed the largest in the world
- GIBBERISH! More than 100 articles in scientific journals found to balderdash
- New super pill could prolong human longevity
- Boeing producing 'BLACK' a super-spy phone worthy of James Bond
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?