Radar reveals massive ice tunnels under Antarctica, but WHO or WHAT created them and WHY?
Scientists in Antarctica discover an icy mystery.
Scientists using radar to peer underneath the Antarctic ice shelves have located massive channels cut into the ice deep below the surface. The find is a surprise to scientists who are interested in learning more about the incredibly large channels.
The amazingly huge tunnels were discovered by a British team using an airplane with ground-penetrating radar to look beneath the ice.
The tunnels are very large, being described as arching 820 feet high, but still far under the depth of the ice sheets that cover Antarctica. At that height, the Eiffel tower could stand inside the channels and a river could flow inside them.
In fact, a river may be the creative force behind the channels which are thought to be running through the tunnels, carving them out.
Scientists say they now believe that meltwater flows under the ice through these channels instead of flowing evenly underneath the ice sheets in a continuous layer. By flowing through one spot, they carve out massive caverns under the ice shelves and may play a role in the eventual breakup of the ice.
Researchers now want to see where these channels empty into the ocean, believing they will find massive rivers of freezing water flowing into the ocean from under the ice.
Since the discovery is new many questions remain but they will certainly form the basis for future attempts at research.
Click here to learn about our Saint Michael the Archangel conference this Nov 1-3!
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Mysterious object blurs the distinction between planets and stars
- Hubble discovery puts us closer than ever to finding alien life - water discovered on 5 planets
- Through the air: The sound of computer keystroke can now be used for spying purposes
- Israeli scientists discover substance that may fend off Alzheimer's, Aging and Parkinson's
- Don't cry for Comet ISON, another stupendous sky show is coming!
- FANTASTIC! Mile-long floating city would house 50,000 permanent residents
- COMET ISON BREAKS UP!
- Where you can watch the death of Comet ISON live as it happens
- Astronomers observe the biggest, and scariest event in the universe since the beginning of time
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?