Do you care if the universe is shaped like a saddle? Here's why you might.
New data suggests the universe is not as we assume it to be.
According to a team of researchers from Edinburgh, the universe may be shaped like a saddle. That may sound like a strange proclamation, but it matters because if true, then theories about how the universe formed and what could have become before, are called into question.
In general, observations made to date fit this theory perfectly making it the dominant explanation among scientists for the explanation of how the universe formed. The theory does not involve itself in the notion of divine creation, and does not address in any way the role of the Creator-God. Those who use it thus demonstrate their failure to understand the theory and its intent and limitations.
Some such as Stephen Hawking argue that the Big Bang Theory proves there is no God because the Big Bang simply sparked from an inherently unstable nothingness. In fact, there was no "time" before the Big Bang, just as there is no "edge" to the planet Earth.
In reality, it's impossible to dismiss anything, although some notions can be regarded as very statistically unlikely.
Recently, cosmologists have disputed this, suggesting that there could be something beyond our universe, and that our universe could be just one of many. Moreover, there could have been something physical from whence our universe sprang.
While these hypotheses are just that, imaginings based mostly on theoretical and mathematical data, there are some suggestive clues.
According to scientists working at the University of Edinburgh, they have detected anomalies in the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the cooling radioactive glow of the Big Bang itself. The anomalies they detected can only be explained by a curvature of the universe different from the shape the Big Bang Theory says it should have.
They believe the universe could have more of a "slight saddle shape" to it.
If they are correct then it would call into question the Big Bang Theory and could open the debate for other competing theories of physical creation.
The researchers admit their ideas need more peer review. They hope to see further study next year when the Planck satellite, designed to measure the cosmic background radiation, will take data that will verify the integrity of their original data. It is possible the most recent data is contaminated by error as sometimes happens with initial findings in science.
Or, it could be that the researchers will be vindicated by the next pass and it will send cosmologists back to the lab to work out new theories on how the universe came to be. Whatever happens, it makes for interesting discussions in the lecture hall and possibly the church.
Click here to learn about our Saint Michael the Archangel conference this Nov 1-3!
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Ultra-secret, Area-51 spy plane finally revealed to the public
- Micro-spacecraft plans to land on moon in 2015
- Mysterious object blurs the distinction between planets and stars
- Hubble discovery puts us closer than ever to finding alien life - water discovered on 5 planets
- Through the air: The sound of computer keystroke can now be used for spying purposes
- Israeli scientists discover substance that may fend off Alzheimer's, Aging and Parkinson's
- Don't cry for Comet ISON, another stupendous sky show is coming!
- FANTASTIC! Mile-long floating city would house 50,000 permanent residents
- COMET ISON BREAKS UP!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?