Chinese super computer faster than 338 MILLION ordinary PCs put together
The Tianhe-2, 'Milky Way' is capable of 33.86 petaflops per second
China has overtaken the United States with the construction of the world's fastest supercomputer. The Tianhe-2, whose name translates to "Milky Way," is almost twice as fast as the previous U.S. record holder . with speeds equivalent to more than an astonishing 338 million normal PCs.
The Chinese said it intends to install the Tianhe-2 equipment at the National Supercomputer Center in Guangzhou, China where it will be used for "research and education."
The most recent results were published in the TOP500 report, an official bi-annual listing of the world's faster supercomputers.
1. Tianhe-2 - China
2. Titan - U.S.
3. Sequoia - U.S.
4. K computer - Japan
5. Mira - U.S.
6. Stampede - U.S.
7. Juqueen - Germany
8. Vulcan - U.S.
9. SuperMuc - Germany
10. Tianhe-1A - China
According to this list, the U.S, dominates the top ten with computers in second, third, fifth, sixth and eighth place. Japan's K computer is in fourth spot, while Germany's Juqueen and SuperMuc are in seventh and ninth place, while Tianhe-2's predecessor, Tianhe-1A, is tenth.
The Tianhe-1A came in first in November 2010. Japan's K computer overtook in 2011.
Each computer on the list was tested against the Linpack benchmark, which is used as a "yardstick of performance" and was chosen because it is widely used across all relevant systems.
The Chinese said it intends to install the Tianhe-2 equipment at the National Supercomputer Center in Guangzhou, China where it will be used for "research and education." Supercomputers such as the Tianhe-2 are used for simulating nuclear explosions and designing jetliners.
The Tianhe-2 knocked the U.S. Department of Energy's Titan machine off the number one spot, which only achieved 17.59 petaflops per second.
The Chinese government sponsored the project and doesn't expect the computer to be fully functional until 2015.
"Most of the features of the system were developed in China, and they are only using Intel for the main compute part," TOP500 editor Jack Dongarra says.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Army successfully tests dramatic laser that can shoot down...
- Good news! The universe is a hologram. The bad news? Well, you're not going to like the bad news...
- NSA is piggybacking off private web tracking to ID and watch you, find targets
- IT'S TRUE: Americans have no right to privacy when they give information to a third party -- such as cell phone provider
- Report reveals FBI can remotely scan your computer without your knowledge
- Stanford researchers develop a way to literally read minds
- NASA releases images of mysterious hexagon on Saturn
- Mars One may stage ultimate anti-reality show where particpants vie to be voted OFF the planet to their demise
- Evidence of an ancient freshwater lake on Mars discovered
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?