Can you guess what was just spotted next to asteroid 1998 QE2?
Asteroid has a traveling companion.
Officials from NASA are now telling reporters that asteroid 1998 QE2, has a surprising companion. The striking revelation came about just as the 1.7 mile-long space rock is about to pass by Earth.
The moon which orbits the larger asteroid is about 600 meters in diameter, about the length of six-and-a-half football fields.
At a distance of 3.75 million miles, the radar revealed the tiny moon as a small bright spot next to the much larger asteroid.
In addition to discovering the tiny moon, astronomers also learned that the asteroid is rotating more slowly than expected.
None of this has any effect on life on Earth, other than to astonish astronomers. Asteroid 1998 QE2 is not on a collision course with Earth, despite its close approach on Friday.
Astronomers are taking advantage of the close approach to map the surface of the object, as best they can, using radar.
Astronomers say that about 16 percent of all asteroids are binary systems, or even triple systems. Asteroids are minor planets in their own right, except they tend to be very small by comparison. Sometimes they have tiny moons of their own.
Despite their small size however, they can disrupt life on Earth if they are large enough to survive reentry into the atmosphere. Fortunately, no such event has occurred with significant impact, in recorded human history.
Smaller asteroids have exploded in the atmosphere such as the one that exploded over Chelyabinsk, Russia on February 15, 2013.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Ultra-secret, Area-51 spy plane finally revealed to the public
- Micro-spacecraft plans to land on moon in 2015
- Mysterious object blurs the distinction between planets and stars
- Hubble discovery puts us closer than ever to finding alien life - water discovered on 5 planets
- Through the air: The sound of computer keystroke can now be used for spying purposes
- Israeli scientists discover substance that may fend off Alzheimer's, Aging and Parkinson's
- Don't cry for Comet ISON, another stupendous sky show is coming!
- FANTASTIC! Mile-long floating city would house 50,000 permanent residents
- COMET ISON BREAKS UP!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?