Online retail giant Amazon begins virtual coin collection
Amazon coins will be given away free to U.S. Kindle owners
only available in the U.S. for Kindle Fire owners, Amazon Coins - the
dream child of online retail giant Amazon, can be used to pay for games,
apps and in-app purchases from the Amazon Appstore. One Amazon Coin is
worth one US penny, and Kindle Fire owners are getting 500 Coins, or $5)
for free as part of the launch.
Developers are banking that Coins will make it easier for customers to pay for items as they can buy and store Coins in their Amazon Appstore accounts to use as and when.
Parents can buy their children Points to spend on games and upgrades, and control how much they spend without adding a credit card to the account.
In October of last year, the controversial Windows 8 began support local currency in the Xbox Video Store instead of relying on Microsoft Points. This may mean that Microsoft may move away from its virtual currency, in the manner of what Facebook did with its Credits scheme last year.
The Coins will also be able to be used on the company\'s retail site when they become more widely available.
The Coins can be bought in batches of 1000, 2500, 5000 and 10,000 and the more you buy, the bigger the discount: 10,000 Coins costs $90, for example. Customers will also get a 10 percent discount on items bought using Amazon Coins.
Amazon has said it has launched its Coins program as a way for developers to make more money by making it easier for shoppers to buy apps and games.
Developers are banking that Coins will make it easier for customers to pay for items as they can buy and store Coins in their Amazon Appstore accounts to use as and when. It's also a way for parents to control how much children spend, negating the need to have a credit card attached to the account.
Amazon already accepts card payments and gift cards for Kindle purchases and has said that these payment options will remain. Amazon developers submitted their apps late last month for the chance to run on the new Coins currency.
Developers will continue to get 70 percent revenue share for any apps or in-app purchases bought using Coins.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Debate between scientists over details of evolution becomes heated
- DRAMATIC DEATH IN SPACE - Astronomers watch as an entire galaxy bleeds to death before their eyes
- Duck and Cover! Asteroid 2014 DX110 will buzz Earth today and you can watch it happen!
- 330-foot long aircraft hailed the largest in the world
- GIBBERISH! More than 100 articles in scientific journals found to balderdash
- New super pill could prolong human longevity
- Vintage cheese - found on the chests of 3,500-year-old mummies!
- Boeing producing 'BLACK' a super-spy phone worthy of James Bond
- Why the Kepler planet discovery changes ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?