Online retail giant Amazon begins virtual coin collection
Amazon coins will be given away free to U.S. Kindle owners
only available in the U.S. for Kindle Fire owners, Amazon Coins - the
dream child of online retail giant Amazon, can be used to pay for games,
apps and in-app purchases from the Amazon Appstore. One Amazon Coin is
worth one US penny, and Kindle Fire owners are getting 500 Coins, or $5)
for free as part of the launch.
Developers are banking that Coins will make it easier for customers to pay for items as they can buy and store Coins in their Amazon Appstore accounts to use as and when.
Parents can buy their children Points to spend on games and upgrades, and control how much they spend without adding a credit card to the account.
In October of last year, the controversial Windows 8 began support local currency in the Xbox Video Store instead of relying on Microsoft Points. This may mean that Microsoft may move away from its virtual currency, in the manner of what Facebook did with its Credits scheme last year.
The Coins will also be able to be used on the company\'s retail site when they become more widely available.
The Coins can be bought in batches of 1000, 2500, 5000 and 10,000 and the more you buy, the bigger the discount: 10,000 Coins costs $90, for example. Customers will also get a 10 percent discount on items bought using Amazon Coins.
Amazon has said it has launched its Coins program as a way for developers to make more money by making it easier for shoppers to buy apps and games.
Developers are banking that Coins will make it easier for customers to pay for items as they can buy and store Coins in their Amazon Appstore accounts to use as and when. It's also a way for parents to control how much children spend, negating the need to have a credit card attached to the account.
Amazon already accepts card payments and gift cards for Kindle purchases and has said that these payment options will remain. Amazon developers submitted their apps late last month for the chance to run on the new Coins currency.
Developers will continue to get 70 percent revenue share for any apps or in-app purchases bought using Coins.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Mars One may stage ultimate anti-reality show where particpants vie to be voted OFF the planet to their demise
- NASA releases images of mysterious hexagon on Saturn
- Stanford researchers develop a way to literally read minds
- Report reveals FBI can remotely scan your computer without your knowledge
- Evidence of an ancient freshwater lake on Mars discovered
- Ultra-secret, Area-51 spy plane finally revealed to the public
- Micro-spacecraft plans to land on moon in 2015
- Mysterious object blurs the distinction between planets and stars
- Through the air: The sound of computer keystroke can now be used for spying purposes
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?