Do you want to die on Mars? Over 78,000 people ask for the chance
Mars One has 78,000 applicants already.
A project intended to fly people on a one-way trip to Mars says it has received over 78,000 applications in two weeks. The applicants will be considered for a reality show in which the public will choose which lucky few will have a chance to fly to Mars, to live and die.
The colony will be established in 2023, and it will be populated by astronauts that will not return to Earth, ever. That is, if it actually gets off the ground.
Critics say the agency may be able to film a reality show, but it will never be able to put people on Mars.
Still, Mars One is accepting applications. A video, accompanied with a paid fee ($38), will get you considered for the Mars One reality show, the winners of which will fly to Mars, assuming the project is successful.
The Dutch company says it will be able to launch missions in 2022, and that it can cut costs by eliminating plans for any return trips.
The co-founder of Mars One, Bas Lansdorp claimed, "With 78,000 applications in two weeks, this is turning out to be the most desired job in history."
Candidates must be at least 18 years of age, "have a deep sense of purpose," and "the capacity for self-reflection and trust."
Education and any relevant experience is a plus, but is not required.
The field of applicants will be narrowed to 24-40 candidates who will then compete for an audience vote to win their spot on the first manned rocket to Mars.
If everything is successful, winners can expect as a reward, a life of hard work on the Red Planet, completed with their death far, far from home.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Debate between scientists over details of evolution becomes heated
- DRAMATIC DEATH IN SPACE - Astronomers watch as an entire galaxy bleeds to death before their eyes
- Duck and Cover! Asteroid 2014 DX110 will buzz Earth today and you can watch it happen!
- 330-foot long aircraft hailed the largest in the world
- GIBBERISH! More than 100 articles in scientific journals found to balderdash
- New super pill could prolong human longevity
- Vintage cheese - found on the chests of 3,500-year-old mummies!
- Boeing producing 'BLACK' a super-spy phone worthy of James Bond
- Why the Kepler planet discovery changes ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?