Hubble spots Comet ISON, comet on track to shine brighter than the moon
Comet ISON has scientists excited with anticipation.
According to preliminary estimated made via the Hubble Space Telescope, Comet ISON is on track to provide the show of a lifetime as it passes by Earth and swings around the Sun in November and December.
Hubble captured this image of Comet ISON which some think suggests the comet will perform well for viewers.
A comet making its first pass by the sun will have large quantities of material that are yet to be sublimated from its surface. This can make it brighter than a comet which has already made several passes by the Sun.
According to the data, the brightest part of the coma is about 3,000 miles across, roughly the size of the United States. The more diffuse material is spread across an area larger than Earth.
Comet ISON was spotted a year ago and quickly impressed scientists with its attributes. Quick calculations of its orbit revealed that it would pass every close to the Sun, which causes significant brightening in comets. If the comet survives its near-brush with our star, it will become exceptionally bright.
Astronomers think ISON could become brighter than the full moon, and will be visible in the daytime sky, making it a true "comet of the century."
Although comets are frequent visitors to the inner solar system, they are rarely visible to the naked eye on Earth. Less frequently, comets are so bright as to rival the moon. Such an event is truly a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence.
However, comets are infamous for their inability to conform to predictions. ISON could prove to be virtually invisible, it could break up around the sun, or it could put on a dazzling light show beyond all imaging.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Debate between scientists over details of evolution becomes heated
- DRAMATIC DEATH IN SPACE - Astronomers watch as an entire galaxy bleeds to death before their eyes
- Duck and Cover! Asteroid 2014 DX110 will buzz Earth today and you can watch it happen!
- 330-foot long aircraft hailed the largest in the world
- GIBBERISH! More than 100 articles in scientific journals found to balderdash
- New super pill could prolong human longevity
- Vintage cheese - found on the chests of 3,500-year-old mummies!
- Boeing producing 'BLACK' a super-spy phone worthy of James Bond
- Why the Kepler planet discovery changes ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?