Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg intends to launch a new Political Action Committee
First comments seen as boastful, arrogant
Facebook multi-billionaire Mark Zuckerberg is planning to enter the world of politics - and many have found his initial comments to do so especially arrogant and boastful. Twenty-eight-year old Zuckerberg is planning to launch a new political advocacy group made up of Silicon Valley figures. Their focus will initially concentrate on immigration and education reform.
Mark Zuckerberg held a fundraiser in Silicon Valley for New Jersey governor Chris Christie. Both Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan became close with the governor since he donated $100 million in 2011 to help improve public schools in one of the state's toughest cities.
The claims come in an e-mail document drawn up by Joe Green is the former college roommate of Zuckerberg who, unlike his famous friend, decided to stay enrolled in Harvard instead of dropping out to make Facebook.
Under a section titled "our tactical assets," the prospectus lists three reasons why "people in tech" can be organized into "one of the most powerful political forces."
"1. We control massive distribution channels, both as companies and individuals. We saw the tip of the iceberg with SOPA/PIPA.
"2. Our voice carries a lot of weight because we are broadly popular with Americans.
"3. We have individuals with a lot of money. If deployed properly this can have huge influence in the current campaign finance environment."
The prospectus also states that Microsoft founder Bill Gates is founding member of the group named "Human Capital." Source suggests that Gates has not yet signed up -- and the group will not go by that name.
"Some of the information contained in this email is outdated and not representative of the kind of work this organization will perform," Green says. "Moreover, I regret some of the language in the email was poorly-chosen and could give a misimpression of the views and aspirations of this organization and those associated with it."
Zuckerberg has dallied in politics with a few scattered donations in the past, but now he will have a formal avenue where he can direct funding towards projects and candidates that are close to his heart.
Formerly neutral in politics, Zuckerberg's allegiances have become more and more public of late.
Zuckerberg held a fundraiser in Silicon Valley for New Jersey governor Chris Christie. Both Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla became close with the governor since he donated $100 million in 2011 to help improve public schools in one of the state's toughest cities. A fan with that kind of money could undoubtedly be helpful for Christie as he evaluates his presidential prospects for 2016.
"They admire his leadership on education reform and other issues and look forward to continuing their important work together on behalf of Newark's school children. Mark and Priscilla are happy to host him at their home to support his re-election," Facebook spokesman Sarah Feinberg says.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- DRAMATIC DEATH IN SPACE - Astronomers watch as an entire galaxy bleeds to death before their eyes
- Duck and Cover! Asteroid 2014 DX110 will buzz Earth today and you can watch it happen!
- GIBBERISH! More than 100 articles in scientific journals found to balderdash
- New super pill could prolong human longevity
- 330-foot long aircraft hailed the largest in the world
- Vintage cheese - found on the chests of 3,500-year-old mummies!
- Boeing producing 'BLACK' a super-spy phone worthy of James Bond
- Why the Kepler planet discovery changes ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!
- How long before you visit a baby boutique to design your children from genetic scrap?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?