What will happen to Benedict's Twitter?
Holy Father will close his account when he leaves office.
The Holy Father will close his Twitter account by the end of this week, which may sadden many of his two million followers on the social network. Vatican radio has made the announcement saying his presence as @Pontifex will come to an end on Feb. 28.
The Holy Father started using twitter late last year and now has 2 million followers.
It is unknown if his successor will also use Twitter to connect with the faithful, however the handle @ Pontifex was not a personal one, but one that represents the office rather than an individual. Pontifex means "bridge builder" in Latin and has been a common nickname for popes since ancient times. The Romans employed the title as a political position, even before the time of Christ.
The Holy Father tweeted on February 10, just before announcing his resignation, "We must trust in the mighty power of God's mercy. We are all sinners, but His grace transforms us and makes us new." It is uncertain if this was the product of personal reflection, or if it was a message calling us to prepare for the Lenten season.
Benedict will probably make his last Tweet on February 27, according to Vatican Radio. However, the account will remain open and it is possible the Holy Father will make an additional last tweet on Feb. 28.
Following his resignation, the Twitter account will not be used, and indeed, no official announcements will be forthcoming until a new Holy Father is chosen by the Cardinals of the Church in communion with God.
The papal conclave is tentatively scheduled to begin around March 15, and may begin sooner, if practicable.
The new pope will have the option of whether or not to use a Twitter to communicate with the faithful.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Pope, Twitter, @Pontifex, Benedict
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Comet ISON may spark unprecedented meteor shower
- 'May God's love be with you' - First music video made in space!
- Online retail giant Amazon begins virtual coin collection
- Windows 8 goes sour as company announces U-turn
- Solar cataclysm! Sun threatens Earth with possible geomagnetic storm
- Carbon dioxide levels could have devastating consequences for civilization
- Did God make junk? Scientists say 98 percent of human genome is junk
- Mickey Mouse may help with your cell phone bill
- New 3-D photo shows expecting Japanese parents' unborn child - smiling
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?