Please HELP ME! Why I should quit Facebook, but can't
Social network to start recording GPS data, even when off.
Facebook plans to start tracking all user's movements starting in March. It will initiate this "service" without your permission, because users have already given permission for Facebook to do so. The service will be always on, even if the app is off, and will share your location data with Facebook, enabling them to serve you ads for nearby businesses.
Users should already know that every post you make to Facebook is saved on their servers, even if you later go back and delete it. Facebook also has full usage rights to your photos, and it does not have to compensate you for their use.
Facebook knows where you go, who you like, if you're single or married. It can tell if you're a racist, or if you secretly like Nickelback or Justin Bieber songs. Facebook even knows if you're having an affair with a coworker. Facebook is a stalker and it sells your information every day to drive up its share price and finance new endeavors into your privacy. Worst of all, you can't stop them, nor do you want to.
Millions of Americans are exposing themselves more intimately to Facebook than they do their partners in marriage. It's a dangerous precedent and it's becoming more intrusive with each "upgrade."
The current new offering will track your location and serve you ads related to nearby businesses. Facebook says the data will be deleted, only to be replaced with newer data, but do we ever believe anyone who promises to delete something we don't want them to have anymore?
The technology that Facebook is employing isn't new, and in some cases users may find it useful. After all, it will be nice to log into Facebook to know where the closest sushi bar is in the city I'm visiting. Despite the value however, I do not want Facebook to know that I sneak off for ice cream with my daughter on Wednesday afternoons or that I skipped Mass one Sunday to visit some friends in another city.
Such things are between myself and God, and those I choose to interact with. My privacy should not be treated as a nut to crack within which there is gold to be had for someone else.
This is why I deactivated my Facebook account (again) yesterday. Unfortunately, there's a good chance it will soon be reactivated. Why? Because my natural narcissism and curiosity tend to kick in.
Hopefully, I will have the strength to tell Big Brother that I do not love him anymore and that I won't be coming back, even if it constitutes as serious thought crime to think so.
Let's hope by then Facebook hasn't built its Ministry of Love to correct the error of my thinking.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Micro-spacecraft plans to land on moon in 2015
- Mysterious object blurs the distinction between planets and stars
- Hubble discovery puts us closer than ever to finding alien life - water discovered on 5 planets
- Through the air: The sound of computer keystroke can now be used for spying purposes
- Israeli scientists discover substance that may fend off Alzheimer's, Aging and Parkinson's
- FANTASTIC! Mile-long floating city would house 50,000 permanent residents
- Don't cry for Comet ISON, another stupendous sky show is coming!
- COMET ISON BREAKS UP!
- Where you can watch the death of Comet ISON live as it happens
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?