Scientists hear the song of planet Earth!
Song is produced in Earth's radiation belts.
Did you know the planet Earth has a song that can be heard in space? A NASA spacecraft has managed to record the song and beam it back to Earth. Despite the celestial origin of the sound, when made audible many it sounds like the calls of birds in the jungle or whales navigating the deep.
To hear the waves, a radio antenna is required.
Those antennas are installed on a pair of satellites that are circling the Earth, studying the planet's radiation belts known as the Van Allen Belts. The Van Allen Belts are bands of powerful radiation that wrap around part of the Earth. The radiation is so great in these belts that they produce what scientists call, "killer electrons." These supercharged particles are dangerous and astronauts must avoid them at risk of becoming sick and dying.
The Radiation Belt Storm Probes, as they are called, are orbiting through the belts to see if they can determine how these electrons are produced.
Meanwhile, they are taking a variety of measurements and data samples, some of which includes listening to the Earth's chorus.
Researchers plan to take additional recordings of the chorus and see just how widespread chorus is in the space above us.
Learning more about the Van Allen Belts and the origin of killer electrons will help make spaceflight safer for astronauts.
In the meantime, we can enjoy the melodies of planet Earth. The mission has just started and will continue for the next two years.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Through the air: The sound of computer keystroke can now be used for spying purposes
- Hubble discovery puts us closer than ever to finding alien life - water discovered on 5 planets
- Israeli scientists discover substance that may fend off Alzheimer's, Aging and Parkinson's
- Don't cry for Comet ISON, another stupendous sky show is coming!
- FANTASTIC! Mile-long floating city would house 50,000 permanent residents
- COMET ISON BREAKS UP!
- Where you can watch the death of Comet ISON live as it happens
- Astronomers observe the biggest, and scariest event in the universe since the beginning of time
- Showtime for Comet ISON!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?