Inventors say electric skateboard could change travel forever
Traveling at 20 miles per hour, board will retail for over $1,000
While it looks like any other skateboard, the "Boosted Board" as its creators call it, is the world's lightest electric vehicle, capable of reaching speeds of 20 miles per hour. The Stanford students behind the Boosted Board say it could be used by tourists, commuters and for everyday getting around.
The board is powered by lithium batteries which can be recharged in two hours, giving six miles of use. The board is expected to retail for $1,199.
Among its many other features, regenerative braking used to recharge the battery while moving. The board is powered by lithium batteries which can be recharged in two hours, giving six miles of use. The board is expected to retail for $1,199.
The inventors proudly point out that they recently launched a Kickstarter fund to build the gadget and have already risen over $260,000, which is more than double their initial aim.
The firm says the key to the board's success will be how light it is. "Light is great for lots of reasons, like better handling and acceleration," the firm says.
"But it also means unprecedented portability."
"Carry it into a classroom, through the lobby to your office, upstairs to your apartment, onto a bus, or even aboard an airplane."
"With a capable electric vehicle that weighs a mere 12 pounds (prototype weight), you'll change how you think about vehicles."
The inventors say it hopes to deliver the first finished products in May next year, and is already building working prototypes.
Over 700 people have already signed up via its funding site, where the firm is offering boards from the first batch.
"We have backgrounds in mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering from Stanford," the team boasts.
'We also love long-boarding, snowboarding, kite-boarding, and wakeboarding."
"So it's no surprise that we joined our revolutionary prototype drive train with our favorite long board components."
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Skateboard, electrical, invention, Kickstarter, longboard
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Comet ISON may spark unprecedented meteor shower
- 'May God's love be with you' - First music video made in space!
- Online retail giant Amazon begins virtual coin collection
- Windows 8 goes sour as company announces U-turn
- Solar cataclysm! Sun threatens Earth with possible geomagnetic storm
- Carbon dioxide levels could have devastating consequences for civilization
- Did God make junk? Scientists say 98 percent of human genome is junk
- Mickey Mouse may help with your cell phone bill
- New 3-D photo shows expecting Japanese parents' unborn child - smiling
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?