Why your Apple ID just got leaked to the public
Leak raises questions about FBI practices.
Hackers may have posted your Apple account information online, but it isn't the hackers you should be upset with. On Monday, "hacktivists" associated with AntiSec posted 1 million identification numbers for Apple products. The numbers they say were taken from an FBI database containing some 12 million entries including full names, addresses and telephone numbers.
AntiSec said in a statement they chose to release the data because it would capture public attention.
"Well, we have learnt it seems quite clear nobody pays attention if you just come and say 'Hey, FBI is using your device details and info and who the [expletive] knows what the hell are they experimenting with that," well sorry, but nobody will care," according to a post by an Anon on Pastebin.
AntiSec, which is a consortium of anti-government computer hackers, are regarded by many in the online community as "hackavists." Hacktavists are hackers who use computers for activism, often by gaining illegal access to computers and databases. Despite their technically illegal activities, they see themselves as protecting freedom by releasing information about government practices that the public may not be aware of, but perhaps should be.
AntiSec is one hacktavist group targeted by the government with the other, perhaps best known group, being Anonymous. Anonymous is not centralized, and has no formal leadership or structure. It is rather a handle claimed by hackers who occasionally coalesce around a single issue or operation, then disband once they're finished. This makes it nearly impossible for the government to counter their activities by targeting individuals. Paradoxically, every hacker, and no hacker may at the same time be part of Anonymous.
The core of the issue which AntiSec seems to highlight, is that the government is collecting far more data on ordinary citizens than most would be comfortable with. While many of us go about our daily lives, the government continues to perform Orwellian machinations funded with your tax dollars.
While it is understandable for the government to monitor or to seek further information about known criminals or those suspected of criminal activity, it is unclear why the FBI would compile a database of personal information focused on law-abiding citizens.
The 12.4 million identification numbers and their associated information are only what AntiSec could find. How much more information on law-abiding citizens does the FBI have at their disposal, ready to be misused by the government or stolen by hackers who could use the information to commit crimes? How much is spent on illicit mass surveillance and data-mining operations that happen in secret without public knowledge?
And above all, why would the FBI, trusted guardians of public safety and the law, do any of this in the first place?
Questions abound, and meanwhile at least a million people now need to worry that their information is not secured nor kept where it's supposed to be.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- NSA is piggybacking off private web tracking to ID and watch you, find targets
- IT'S TRUE: Americans have no right to privacy when they give information to a third party -- such as cell phone provider
- Evidence of an ancient freshwater lake on Mars discovered
- Mars One may stage ultimate anti-reality show where particpants vie to be voted OFF the planet to their demise
- NASA releases images of mysterious hexagon on Saturn
- Stanford researchers develop a way to literally read minds
- Report reveals FBI can remotely scan your computer without your knowledge
- Ultra-secret, Area-51 spy plane finally revealed to the public
- Micro-spacecraft plans to land on moon in 2015
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?