Nation gearing up for Super Bowl XLVII, sporting event of firsts
After her lip-synch at the presidential inauguration, singer Beyoncé promises something spectacular
America is digging in this Sunday, February 3 for Super Bowl XLVII, which promises to be a most festive sporting event. Taking place at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana during Mardi Gras, the event marks some unique firsts - as well as a halftime show from the controversial singer Beyoncé, called on the carpet for lip synching at President Obama's second inaugural. She promising everybody her show will be spectacular.
It has been nicknamed the Harbaugh Bowl, HarBowl, SuperBaugh and the Brother Bowl. The game will be the first Super Bowl featuring opposing head coaching brothers,
It has been nicknamed the Harbaugh Bowl, HarBowl, SuperBaugh and the Brother Bowl. The game will be the first Super Bowl featuring opposing head coaching brothers, Baltimore's John Harbaugh and San Francisco's Jim Harbaugh, whose clubs previously met in a 2011 Thanksgiving Classic, in which John's Ravens won, 16-6.
The Ravens, after finishing the 2012 regular season with a 10-6 record, are making their second Super Bowl, having previously won Super Bowl XXXV. Ray Lewis, the MVP from that game, returns for this game, which he has said will be his last before his retirement from professional football.
The 49ers are entering the game seeking their sixth Super Bowl win in team history as well as first since Super Bowl XXIX, which would tie the Pittsburgh Steelers with the most Super Bowl wins, after going 5-0 in their previous appearances.
In a break from sports - everyone is still buzzing about Beyoncé's Inauguration Day lip sync. The songstress is finally offering some clues as to what her headlining spectacle at Sunday's Super Bowl halftime show will look like.
Singing an unaccompanied redux of the national anthem during a press conference this week, she issued a second glimpse of how rehearsals are coming together.
Dubbed "Countdown to Touchdown," the less-than-one-minute videos offer snippets of action, such as Beyoncé and her army of all girl dancers working through a number of frenetic dance routines.
What can the millions of viewers who will be glued to the Super Bowl, watching either for the big game, the commercials or halftime show expect to see on Sunday? Beyoncé is keeping a tight lid on what to expect - but the eyes of the world will shortly be upon her.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: uper Bowl XLVII, Super Bowl 2012, San Francisco, Baltimore, Beyonce
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Sports News
- Unprecedented kindness - Boston Marathon to call back runners who couldn't finish
- Soccer superstar David Beckham hits the showers - for good
- Former L.A. Lakers player Vlade Divac visits Swiss Guard at the Vatican
- Amazing video of 30 Canadian skiers back flipping while holding hands goes viral
- Sports broadcaster Pat Summerall dies at 82
- Team Dominican Republic emerges victorious in World Baseball Classic
- Nation gearing up for Super Bowl XLVII, sporting event of firsts
- Obama would change the way football is played
- Will the public accept cyclist Lance Armstrong's 'crocodile tears?'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?