Researcher to Address Sexual Behavior and Catholic Thought
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (October 23, 2013) - Dr. Mark Regnerus, a sociology professor at the University of Texas at Austin and a researcher at the Population Research Center, will speak at Franciscan University of Steubenville on the impact of pre-marital sex, same-sex parenting, and other behaviors upon children, families, and society at large.
Regnerus’ talk, “What Contemporary Sexual Behavior Patterns Reveal About the Mating Market and Catholic Thought,” will take place on Thursday, November 7, at 7:30 p.m. in the Tony and Nina Gentile Gallery, J.C. Williams Center.
Dr. Daniel Kuebler, Franciscan University biology professor, said that Regnerus’ talk will offer a social scientific perspective on the relationships between sexual behavior, modern sexual morality, and family structure. “He is someone who has been at the forefront of trying to systematically look at the effects of sexual morality on society, people, and relationships,” said Kuebler.
Regnerus’ research specializes in sexual behavior, family, and religious behavior. He has written widely on the effect of religion on teen sexual decision-making and the low value that young adults place on sexual morality. His new research on the adult children of parents who have same-sex relationships was published in the July 2012 issue of Social Science Research and has garnered international attention. Regnerus is the author of Premarital Sex in America and Forbidden Fruit: Sex and Religion in the Lives of American Teenagers.
Franciscan University psychology professor Dr. Stephen Sammut will give a response to Regnerus’ talk. A question-and-answer period will follow.
The talk is sponsored by the Academic Affairs Department and the Science and Faith Lecture Series, a joint effort of the biology, philosophy, and theology departments, dedicated to promoting an ongoing dialogue among the three disciplines. It is free and open to the public.
Regnerus’ talk is part of the fall 2013 Distinguished Speakers Series at Franciscan University. Through the Distinguished Speakers Series, Franciscan University of Steubenville hosts leaders who integrate their faith and public life and thereby inspire the next generation to be a transforming presence in the Church and society.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Franciscan University of Steubenville, Mark Regnerus
Catholic Schools & Religious Education
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Paul Kengor to Speak on Principles of a Reagan Conservative
- Ukrainian Priest Speaks on ‘Revolution of Dignity,’ Transformation of Afflicted Country
- Cardinal Kasper's shocking theology of Catholic marriage
- Papal agency calls for protection of religious believers’ rights following invasion of Ukraine
- Akerman-Teixeira Duo Featured at Gaudium Musicae
- Veritas Conference to Discuss Threats to Religious Freedom
- Media and Faith Conference Slated for April
- NYC Thursday April 24th Spring Fling - Singles Mingle Charity Event
- PROVIDING LIFE-AFFIRMING PREGNANCY SUPPORT TO WOMEN LOWERS ABORTIONS IN PENNSYLAVNIA AGAIN!
- Andy LaVallee to Appear on The CatholicTV Network