A Catholic Church Gets Behind the Making of a Feature Film
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For More Information:
Kevin Wandra, 404-788-1276 or
Kickstarter Campaign launches to help local parish and filmmaker fund project
ATLANTA, GA (September 10, 2013) – We’ve seen it before. The phenomena that grew out of the radical church engagement following The Passion of The Christ – churches stepping up to support filmmaking and actually sponsoring the production of films. But for one filmmaker, this incredible movement lacked a very personal element for him – the presence of themes and a centrality that honored the Catholic faith.
Says filmmaker Kevis Antonio, “A few summers ago, I went to see a pre-screening of one the highly anticipated Christian films, Courageous, and thought to myself - wouldn’t be great if the Catholic Church would join the battle against Hollywood and make films? As a Catholic, I saw a huge opportunity to fill a gap. I felt the desire to reach young adults. I want to make a difference.”
Kevis reached out to his own parish, St. Catherine of Siena Roman Catholic Church, one of the largest parishes in the Archdiocese of Atlanta. The community has now fully committed to help bring the first major motion picture originating from a Catholic parish to the big screen. The film project — with the working title FIVE BLOCKS AWAY — has launched a Kickstarter campaign (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1174472536/five-blocks-away-proof-of-concept-trailer) to raise a modest amount of money to produce what is called a “proof of concept trailer.” This will help those involved share this undertaking more competitively within the industry.
Two of the lead actors have already been committed. Both are professional young actors with a growing filmography. And Antonio has enlisted the talent of Emmy Award-winning writer Erika Hill to work on the script.
The Kickstarter goal is $12,000 by October 13, 2013.
For interviews with the filmmakers, please contact Kevin Wandra with Carmel Communications at 404-788-1276 or by email at KWandra@CarmelCommunications.com. To learn more about FIVE BLOCKS AWAY, to get involved or pledge to the production, visit http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1174472536/five-blocks-away-proof-of-concept-trailer.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1174472536/five-blocks-away-proof-of-concept-trailer GA, 30075 US
Kevin Wandra - ,
Five Blocks Away, Catholic movies, St. Catherine of Siena Roman Catholic Church, Kevis Antonio
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Thu, Sept 25, 2014 - Mass & Healing Service with Fr. Angelos Sebastian at Our Lady of Grace Catholic
- Employment Opportunities with the LA Archdiocese
- Marriage and Family at the Forefront of Social Science Conference
- New books and key experts available in time for October Synod on Marriage and Family
- Franciscan University Reacts to Latest HHS Mandate Ruling
- Former Polish Prime Minister to Speak on Legacy of St. John Paul II
- Divine Mercy Drama Comes to Washington, DC
- Gospel of Mark — Ready, Set, Go! - September 6, 2014
- Come to the Sisters of Providence Fall Discernment Weekend Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2014
- New Book Helps Readers Trust God with St. Therese's Little Way