Steubenville Atlanta Teens Package 100,000+ Meals for Africa
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (July 30, 2013) - During the weekend of July 19-21, more than 2,500 Franciscan University of Steubenville Youth Conference teens joined forces to feed the hungry of West Africa.
Held as part of the Steubenville Atlanta Youth Conference in Georgia, July 19-21, the youth packaged 100,386 meals in two hours. That total exceeded the original goal of 100,000 for the poor of Burkina Faso, Africa.
The Helping Hands Event was sponsored by Catholic Relief Services (CRS) and guided by the hunger relief program Stop Hunger Now. The youth volunteers worked in three groups of 650 for 30-minute shifts to package dehydrated, protein-rich, and highly nutritious meals.
“Pope Francis has said that he wants the Church to defend the poor. He reminds us that we are part of the universal Church, whose teachings and traditions transcend all boundaries,” said Joan Rosenhauer, executive vice president of U.S. Operations for CRS. “Catholic Relief Services is pleased to partner with Franciscan University and Steubenville Atlanta to host this Helping Hands Event.”
The high-energy atmosphere kept the teens excited as a gong rang out to signify packaging milestones—bringing cheers, singing, and celebration in the Gwinnett Convention Center.
The annual Steubenville Atlanta conference is one of 18 Franciscan University of Steubenville Summer Youth Conferences held throughout the United States and Canada that reach nearly 40,000 teens. The conferences include powerful speakers, praise and worship, eucharistic adoration, daily Mass, and the opportunity for confession. To watch videos of this summer’s talks or to find out more about Franciscan University of Steubenville’s Summer Youth Conferences, visit www.steubenville.org.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Franciscan University of Steubenville, youth conferences, hunger relief
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- George Weigel on Evangelical Catholicism in Catholic Universities
- Frankfurt Book Fair 2014
- ‘Christmas in Harvard Square’ wows with impressive debut on Billboard charts
- Pontifical Low Mass (DVD & Booklet)
- Horrific tragedy inspires Catholic entrepreneur to create powerful novel
- Cardinal Raymond Burke: Synod’s mid-term report ‘lacks a solid foundation in the Sacred Scriptures'
- Little Sisters of the Poor Receive Franciscan University’s Poverello Medal
- Bring Mary of Nazareth home
- 'Encounter Milwaukee' to Reach Catholic Young Adults
- Pray for a G20 leader a day