Unforeseen consequence: 2.3 MILLION workers fighting to STAY POOR because of Obamacare
Workers themselves are fighting to stay poor to avoid the expense of healthcare.
According to a report from the Congressional Budget Office, Obamacare will reduce America's labor supply by the equivalent of 2.3 million full-time workers through 2021.
Who's to blame? The employees themselves.
According to the CBO, more workers are expected to minimize their incomes to remain eligible for free government health care benefits. Already, workers are trying to minimize the number of hours they work to avoid having to pay the high premiums associated with Obamacare.
Now is a good time to pray for a solution to this crisis.
Obamacare, as it is currently implemented, impacts the lower-middle class harder than any other group. While it does its job of providing health care for the poor, those in the lower-middle class who can least afford the premiums, are now facing a future without healthcare, despite the fact that they work. Individual premiums can range anywhere from $200-$400 per month or more, and family premiums can be well over $1000 a month.
Very few people in America's shrinking middle class can afford these premiums. The result is that those who are at the bottom of the scale will take measures to suppress their income enough to remain qualified for free healthcare from the government. Meanwhile those who cannot suppress their income enough, was simply have to go without.
There is a school of thought which suggests that Obamacare is designed to fail, and insurance companies will be blamed. Once people are turned against insurance providers, and consensus forms that Obamacare is a complete failure, they will turn towards a socialized health care system, provided by the government in which all people pay, and all people receive the same care.
A single-payer system, is unpopular with the American people because it eliminates personal choice, and compels people to pay for services for which they have no need. For example, faithful Catholics certainly did not care to pay for program that provides immoral services such as contraceptives and abortions. Likewise, a postmenopausal woman, or her husband might not have much need to pay for services that include prenatal, and childbirth care.
Unfortunately, it appears to be we are being positioned to accept just that.
Previously, individuals could choose plans that fit their needs at prices they can afford. Now everyone must choose from a series of standardized plans that come with high premiums and are funded, in part, with government subsidies. The problem with government subsidies is that subsidies are simply a redistribution of wealth -- the government isn't paying for anything, you are.
So far, despite the glaring problems with Obamacare, there has been virtually no discussion of how to fix a broken system, or what should be done next. Efforts to repeal Obamacare are by now much too late, and any efforts to fix the system could take years before they are implemented. In the meantime, millions of Americans will lose their coverage, will reduce their employment, and will generally try to avoid the crippling and punishing fines that will be imposed if they refuse to purchase one of Obama's health care plans.
Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action'...
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lord’s invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- 'Shared responsibility payment' in Obamacare tax hides veiled threat
- California Senator faces 400 years in prison on corruption charges
- Leaked document shows NSA spied on trade talks, U.S. lawyers
- First medical doctor in Texas suspended under new abortion law
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?