Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
Obamacare's natural end is probably a single-payer system.
Colin Powell has come out in favor of a single-payer healthcare system. Powell, who has long been regarded as a conservative, is a supporter of the Obama presidency and has endorsed Obama twice. It is possible that his endorsement could be the starts of a move towards a socialist healthcare system.
Powell is officially a Republicans, which makes his remarks all the more noteworthy.
Powell admitted that he was not an expert on Obamacare, but acknowledged the wide public disapproval of the law which has thus far proven to be a disaster. The impacts of the law are not yet truly felt, but will be noticed in the year to come.
It is theorized by conservative thinkers that Obamacare is actually a back-door to socialized healthcare in the United States. Designed to fail and to place blame on private insurers, the American public will have little choice but to support a government-run plan.
The original draft of Obamacare did include a provision for a public healthcare option, however Republicans and some Democrats rejected it, fearing it would lead to a single-payer system and destroy public choice.
Now, Colin Powell may be testing the waters for a single-payer option, which will appear more attractive next to the disaster that is Obamacare.
Powell sang the praises of foreign single-payer systems and said that he has benefited from the military-provided system of care during his life. Some veterans will argue that individual mileage may vary.
"Every country I've visited, every developed country, they have universal health care ... I think universal health care is one of the things we should really be focused on," Powell told the audience. "Whether it's Obamacare, or son of Obamacare, I don't care. As long as we get it done."
It's likely that Obama, who has spoken in favor of such a system, feels the same way. Give Obamacare enough time to eat away at your budget, and you will feel the same way too-which may be the plan all along.
A birth foretold: click here to learn more!
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- 'Shared responsibility payment' in Obamacare tax hides veiled threat
- California Senator faces 400 years in prison on corruption charges
- Leaked document shows NSA spied on trade talks, U.S. lawyers
- First medical doctor in Texas suspended under new abortion law
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?