Unpleasant surprise in mail: One million Californians have their health insurance policies canceled
Anthem Blue Cross of California will extend policies due to computer glitch
More than one million Californians received a most unwelcome surprise in their mail recently: their health policies have been canceled on account of the Affordable health care Act. These Californians now much swim through insurance exchanges in order to find health insurance that they can afford.
Health insurer Anthem Blue Cross of California has agreed to a two-month extension of about 104,000 individual policies.
For at least one company, however, there is a stay of execution. Health insurer Anthem Blue Cross of California has agreed to a two-month extension of about 104,000 individual policies. The company failed to give the required 90-day cancellation notice.
AFTER THE UNSPEAKABLE, WE SPEAK HOPE. Support Catholic Online's response to Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines. DONATE NOW...
According to State Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones, the policies had been set to expire on December 31 but will be extended until February 28 for those who choose to re-enroll. Notices have been sent out to these customers this week.
Jones said the company notified the Department of Insurance that it failed to give enough notice due to a computer glitch and voluntarily offered to extend the policies.
Individual customers who were "inadvertently omitted from the original mailing" have received notices telling them that their policies were being terminated, Anthem spokesman Darrel Ng says. He declined to say how many Anthem customers were being notified their policies were ending.
The situation has angered many, as President Obama repeatedly told Americans that they could keep their health plan if they liked it. Obama apologized last week to those affected consumers and he said his administration is looking into potential fixes for the situation.
Blue Shield of California has declined to specify how many of its individual policies are being terminated in California. More than 400,000 people could be losing coverage through Anthem, according to some industry estimates.
A birth foretold: click here to learn more!
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lord’s invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- 'Shared responsibility payment' in Obamacare tax hides veiled threat
- California Senator faces 400 years in prison on corruption charges
- Leaked document shows NSA spied on trade talks, U.S. lawyers
- First medical doctor in Texas suspended under new abortion law
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?