Defenders of the Right to Life Score a Partial Victory in Texas. Judge Blocks Some of the Progress
Only two provisons of Texas law will go into effect this week.
A federal judge has overturned a provision in the new Texas law that would protect women and children from the worst abortion mill practices. The ruling means two key provisions in the law will not go into effect.
The judge further ruled that the part of the law which required Texas abortion facilities to follow FDA protocol and only dispense the RU 486 abortion drug in person, should apply only if the life of mother is in danger. The absurdity of this is obvious. Abortions routinely put womens lives in danger. They always take the life of a child.
The law has been an important part of the fight to limit abortion in Texas. The majority of Texans support the fundamental Human Right to Life of the chid in the womb because they know, quite scientifically, that life begins at conception. Despite this,opponents of the Right to Life, some of whom consider themselves feminists - although they have no real interest in actually promoting the whole wellbeing of fellow women - vehemently opposed the measure.
Leading the fight against the Right to Life was Senator Wendy Davis (D-Ft. Worth). She used the law as an opportunity to springboard herself into a gubernatorial campaign. Davis ineffectively filibustered the law in June, and was photographed wearing red sneakers. Those shoes have become something of an icon for the anti-life movement. Aptly, they're colored red.
Laws which require abortionists to have admitting privileges at nearby hospitals ensure they take responsibility for their surviving patients and can maximize the chances that a mother has of recovering from invasive procedures such as surgical abortions. Anyone who supports the well-being of women should be in favor of such a law because it improves women's safety.
Astoundingly, detractors focused on how the law might prevent a woman from killing her unborn child. They argued the provision, which would cost abortionists money for the admitting privileges, would somehow impose and "undue burden" on women seeking abortions.
It is a sign of how twisted the sickly-Orwellian abortion issue has become in our country. A law which promotes women's safety is somehow an undue burden on that same woman.
In addition to rolling back this protection, Judge Yeakel also ruled that doctors may proscribe abortifacients in any way they choose, even against FDA guidelines, despite the fact that such pills are literal chemical weapons that kill children. It's bad enough they're legal and somewhat common. Now, doctors will be free to prescribe them how they wish, rolling back a second protection for women.
There are two other provisions of the law which were upheld. First, abortion in Texas will now be restricted to the first 20 weeks of pregnancy alone. That prevents the abortion of children who could otherwise survive outside of the womb, but it does nothing to spare the lives of younger babies whose brains are already developing and are capable of distress.
A second requirement was upheld, requiring all abortions to be performed in surgical facilities. This will make it more difficult for abortionists, similar to Kermit Gosnell in Philadelphia, to operate in Texas. Surgical facilities are subject to more scrutiny from state officials.
Gov. Perry made it clear that Texas would not give up the fight to protect women and children. He said in a statement, reacting to Monday's ruling, "[we] will not stop our ongoing efforts to protect life and ensure the women of our state aren't exposed to any more of the abortion-mill horror stories that have made headlines recently. We will continue fighting to implement the laws passed by the duly-elected officials of our state, laws that reflect the will and values of Texans."
A birth foretold: click here to learn more!
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Francis, Human Dignity and Culture: Time for a Radical Christian Action Movement
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?