Obama's Campaign of Pain leaves families of fallen soldiers without deserved 'death gratuities'
Obama campaign is designed to create pain and anger chanelled against Republicans.
Absolutely everyone is outraged over the report that grieving families are being denied their rightful benefits due to the ongoing government shutdown. Approximately $100,000 in "death gratuities" are being delayed to families who need them to cover funeral and transportation costs for the deceased.
Obama still refuses to negotiate with Republicans until they give him more money to spend with no strings attached.
It is possible that as early as today and exception would begin making its way through Congress.
Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid referred to the problem as "shameful and embarrassing."
Embarrassing is right. Democrats, and in particular President Obama, are caught in an impasse because they flatly refuse to negotiate with Republicans on a solution to Obamacare and the out of control debt spending that most Americans agree are in need of immediate repair.
As Obama continues to hold up any progress by refusing to settle down at the table with Republicans, more and more problems are manifesting as a result of the government shutdown.
Children have been denied access to life-saving clinical trials, handles have been removed from spigots on water fountains along major bike and hiking trails between Philadelphia and Washington -to prevent people from using them, and the payment of military death benefits are being delayed.
Meanwhile thousands of federal workers sit home while others try to do absurd things such as close open-air memorials and private historic sites such as Mount Vernon.
All of the federal workers now on the job are working without pay, but will receive back pay as soon as the shutdown ends.
A separate bill, the "Pay Our Military Act" which was previously approved, does allow for the military to receive pay through the shutdown, but military overseers did not apparently understand, or agree, that death gratuities should be paid as part of the bill. On Tuesday, Boehner said that was supposed to be the understanding.
Speaker Boehner signed the Pay Our Military Act to ensure these payments would continue.
Regardless, the specific situation is on its way to resolution.
Meanwhile, the shutdown continues and threatens to worsen as Obama demands an increase to his debt ceiling limit without any agreements to rein in spending. It remains unlikely as of Wednesday morning that either side will capitulate.
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?