Oh come on! As a Catholic, can I still support Obamacare?
Not as it's written.
If you are a practicing Catholic, then Obamacare marks the end of your religion in the United States. Ever since arriving in office, Obama has been at odds with the Catholic Church. As many Catholics now know, Obamacare, as it is written, is unacceptable.
Of course, we know that nothing is actually free. In reality, these services are being paid for by the premiums of people who purchased plans, even if they do not use the services. Furthermore, tax dollars paid to the federal government provide the subsidies that many people will receive so they can actually afford their insurance coverage.
There's no way around it, your payments either in insurance premiums and deductibles, or in tax dollars, are going to be used to pay for abortions, abortifacients, sterilizations, contraceptives, and other morally objectionable services.
This creates a very difficult situation for Catholics. Caesar has demanded that everyone pay, either through their premiums or their taxes. Even if you do not purchase an Obamacare plan, your dollars will still be used for these objectionable services. Effectively, Obamacare makes it physically impossible for Catholics to practice their faith in the United States without the taint of subsidizing morally objectionable services.
In many respects, is a terrible shame that Obama has insisted on these provisions in what might otherwise be a laudable health care initiative. The Catholic Church believes that medical care is a fundamental human right, and all humans deserve affordable access to it. However, the morally objectionable services that offend Catholics and other Christians so mightily, have nothing to do with health care. Had Obama left in these mandates out, or permitted all people of faith to exempt themselves from paying for these services, then most objections to the Affordable Care Act would disappear.
No plan is perfect. The Affordable Care Act is far from perfect. It will need a lot of work and revision over the coming years so that it does not bankrupt our national economy, and truly does what it was intended to do, which is provide affordable health care for every American.
Any plans to fix this act must include the restoration of religious freedom and freedom of conscience for every American. Every American must be allowed to exempt themselves from these onerous provisions. Even better, they should be entirely repealed.
Barring that, Catholics are now being forced to accept as the law of the land, one of the most objectionable and heinous policies ever devised by a sitting president for the people of the United States. As written, Obama care fundamentally violates the moral conscience of people of faith and values, and it tramples upon our First Amendment rights.
Let us hope that the current impasse in government, and the cases being brought to the Supreme Court, can provide us with some relief. If not, every Catholic will be forced to render unto Caesar homage upon the altar of child sacrifice.
Click here to learn about our Saint Michael the Archangel conference this Nov 1-3!
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Francis, Human Dignity and Culture: Time for a Radical Christian Action Movement
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?