NATIONAL SHAME AND PAIN: U.S. Homes on food stamps outnumber ALL homes in northeast U.S.
Record number of U.S. Households receiving nutritional assistance in June
Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. Every single last household in these previously mentioned states were still beat out by ALL U.S. households receiving nutritional assistance, i.e. food stamps.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, the official name of the food stamp program, assisted a record 23,116,928 American households during June.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, the official name of the food stamp program, assisted a record 23,116,928 American households during June. These figures were recently released by the Department of Agriculture.
This figure outnumbers the 20,618,000 households that the Census Bureau estimated were in the entire Northeastern United States as of the second quarter of 2013.
U.S. Households on food stamps in June also outnumbered the 15,030,000 home-owning households in the entire Western United States in the second quarter of the year and the 18,018,000 home-owning households in the entire Midwest.
As defined by the Census Bureau, the U.S. Western states include Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Alaska and Hawaii. The number of households taking food stamps in June outnumbered all of the home-owing households in all of these stated combined"
The Midwest is similarly defined as the states of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio. So, the number of households on food stamps in June also outnumbered all the home-owning households in this set of states.
The record 23,116,928 households on food stamps in June also equaled 20.16 percent-or more than one-fifth--of all 114,663,000 households nationwide in the United States as of June, according to the bureau.
Click here to learn about our Saint Michael the Archangel conference this Nov 1-3!
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- 'Shared responsibility payment' in Obamacare tax hides veiled threat
- California Senator faces 400 years in prison on corruption charges
- Leaked document shows NSA spied on trade talks, U.S. lawyers
- First medical doctor in Texas suspended under new abortion law
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?