Renegade clerk issues marriage licenses to same-sex couples, may see his work struck down
Same-sex marriage remains illegal in Pennsylvania.
A Pennsylvania clerk is in a bit of controversy after he began issuing same-sex marriage licenses in Philadelphia in spite of the fact that state does not permit such marriages. The state is arguing such documents have no legitimacy.
The state has sued, saying the documents have "no value or legitimacy" because they violate state law. The state has had a popular and legal ban against same-sex marriage since 1996. Hanes admits he has broke the law by issuing the licenses, saying he believes he is "on the right side of history." Hanes said he consulted with attorneys before issuing any licenses. He told NBC News, "I have broken the law, but it is an unconstitutional law."
Of course, many would disagree with Hanes. However, they do not get reported on in the main stream media. Instead, Hanes is presented as some sort of crusader. It is all a part of a concerted effort to 'normalize' the abnormal and call any who disagree, at best narrow minded, or much worse. That includes Christians who remain faithful to 2000 years of Church teaching.
Today, the Commonwealth Court will determine if Hanes really has broken the law and if the licenses issued by his office are invalid. This is the likely outcome because such licenses are illegal in Pennsylvania, which remains the only state in the Northeast where same-sex marriage is illegal.
His friend and colleague, Montgomery County Commissioner Bruce Castor told NBC, that Hanes "is charged with executing the laws, and he is not doing that... I think that Bruce is a man of principle and integrity, but he's a little idealistic and doesn't fully grasp what his role is as an executive officer."
The courts, given over as they are to the agenda Hanes represents, and enlisted in the Cultural Revolution, may be inclined to agree.
In addition to the actions of one renegade clerk, the state is also meeting a challenge brought by the ACLU against the 1996 ban on same-sex marriage.
As for being on the right side of history, Hanes could do with a little study. Disordered sexual activity was widely practiced in some ancient cultures, such as the city of Sodom and among the early Romans, and neither of those civilizations lasted long.
Instead, history has shown that moral societies which respect the Natural Moral Law, including respecting and protecting marriage as what it is, a lifelong, faithful union between one man and one woman - open to children and formative of family - tend to be much more durable and successful than those which call non-marital relationships the moral equivalent of marriage and seek to use the the force of law to compel everyone else to treat them as though they are marriages.
Whatever the outcome, marriage cannot be defined, nor redefined by changes in civil law anyway. Although the change in civil law does have certain effects. For example, destabilizingthe family and the society founded upon it, as well as entrenching and 'normalizing' immorality. It flaunts the natural moral law written on every human heart. However, marriage remains what it is, as designed by God and unchangeable by men and women who reject the truth.
In the Catholic and Orthodox Churches, marriage is a sacrament for good reason. It reveals the love of Christ for His Church, calls husband and wife to holiness, and forms the foundation for the domestic church of the family, the first cell of the universal Church. Marriage is only possible between one man and one woman, and no renegade clerk in Pennsylvania should be allowed to decide on his or her own to change what is unchangeable.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Oops, we didn't think of that! Utah may pull NSA plug by cutting water supply to facility
- Small businesses will have to wait: Obama delays coverage to businesses for a year
- No surprise: EPA prepares fresh stack of over 130 new regulations
- Supreme Court to Hear New Cases Challenging Constitutionality of Obamacare Mandate
- NSA monitoring pornography Web sites of suspected troublemakers
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?