Clinton Foundation rebuked by New York Times
Foundation is not just about Bill; It's Hillary and Chelsea, too!
The supposedly liberal newspaper the New York Times has taken the Clinton Foundation to task for favoritism and political opportunity. The New York Times says that the foundation is not just about former president Bill; it involves wife and likely presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and their daughter Hillary as well!
The Clintons are willing to sell themselves, their image and even their Foundation's reputation in exchange for money to finance their personal projects. "In Bill's case, saving the world. In Hillary's case, maybe, running for president."
"Over a year ago Bill Clinton met with some aides and lawyers to review the Foundation's progress and concluded that it was a mess. Well, many political start-ups can be, especially when their sole selling point is the big name of their founder (the queues are short at the Dan Quayle Vice Presidential Learning Center). "
Columnist Tim Stanley with the Telegraph wryly notes that "the Clinton Foundation has become about more than just Bill . in the words of the NYT 'efforts to insulate the foundation from potential conflicts have highlighted just how difficult it can be to disentangle the Clintons' charity work from Mr Clinton's moneymaking ventures and Mrs Clinton's political future.' Oh, they're entangled alright."
Stanley then takes the Clintons to task for "turning noble philanthropic ventures into glitzy, costly promos for some future campaign (can you remember a time in human history when a Clinton wasn't running for office?). And their 'Ain't I Great?!' ethos attracts the rich and powerful with such naked abandon that it ends up compromising whatever moral crusade they happen to have endorsed that month.
The New York Time continues: "Last year, Coca-Cola's chief executive, Muhtar Kent, won a coveted spot on the dais with Mr. Clinton, discussing the company's partnership with another nonprofit to use its distributors to deliver medical goods to patients in Africa. (A Coca-Cola spokesman said that the company's sponsorship of foundation initiatives long predated Teneo and that the firm plays no role in Coca-Cola's foundation work.)"
Stanley does this endorsement one better: "Just this month, bedding manufacturer Serta announced that it will be sponsoring Bill Clinton's keynote address to an industry conference in August. 'To us,' said the head of the company, 'Clinton represents leadership. This appearance shows Serta is a leader and is taking a leadership position. This singles us out.' Some might say that it is beneath a former president to basically endorse Serta's new 'Perfect Sleeper' line, even with its 'revolutionary gel foam mattress.'"
Stanley concludes that the Clintons are willing to sell themselves, their image and even their Foundation's reputation in exchange for money to finance their personal projects. "In Bill's case, saving the world. In Hillary's case, maybe, running for president."
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- 'Shared responsibility payment' in Obamacare tax hides veiled threat
- California Senator faces 400 years in prison on corruption charges
- Leaked document shows NSA spied on trade talks, U.S. lawyers
- First medical doctor in Texas suspended under new abortion law
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?