Obama is a Constitutional master, according to himself
Obama doesn't like criticism from non-constitutional lawayers.
President Obama suggested in an interview that one should be a Constitutional Lawyer to understand how the Constitution works. Obama was asserting his expertise on the Constitution.
The employer mandate would require employers with 50 employees or more to provide health insurance.
That provision was expected to take effect on Jan 1, 2014, but Obama has ordered it to be delayed for a year. Congress has criticized the president for wanting to delay his own law and critics are explaining that the president does not have the power to do any such thing.
Yet Obama disagrees.
"And if Congress thinks that what I've done is inappropriate or wrong in some fashion, they're free to make that case," Obama said. "But there's not an action that I take that you don't have some folks in Congress who say that I'm usurping my authority. Some of those folks think I usurp my authority by having the gall to win the presidency. And I don't think that's a secret."
"But, ultimately, I'm not concerned about their opinions--very few of them, by the way, are lawyers, much less constitutional lawyers," Obama concluded.
Obama has constitutional law credentials, having worked as a lecturer in constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School. He worked part-time at the university from 1992 to 2004.
Despite his pedigree, a lot of legal scholars disagree that Obama has the authority to suspend the implementation of part of his own law, no matter how bad his law may be.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Oops, we didn't think of that! Utah may pull NSA plug by cutting water supply to facility
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?