States seek to nullify overreaching Obama edicts
Efforts doomed to fail, are largely symbolic.
Dozens of states are fed up with the Obama administration and have passed, or intend to pass nullification laws designed to shield them from federal encroachment on their Tenth Amendment authority. Issues from healthcare to gun control are being addressed.
The nullifications are little more than a form of political protest since experts believe few, if any will stand up in the courts. The Civil War did much to erode the strength of the Tenth Amendment.
Still, the laws being passed from state to state represent a very real backlash against the overreaches of the Obama administration.
At least 37 states have passed some kind of nullification of one Obama policy or another. Twenty states have nullified all or part of Obamacare.
Many individuals feel Obamacare is an unconstitutional tax and an unbearable economic burden on both individuals and businesses. Laws based on these challenges may not hold up in court, but they represent a symbolic effort to resist the power of a man who is just as quick to act via Presidential order as he is to ramrod his pet legislation through Congress, regardless of opposition.
People across the nation are tired of the Presidential overreach.
Gun legislation is another hot issue. Despite the fact that both the Constitution and courts have upheld the right of the individual to keep and bear arms, the government repeatedly passes increasingly restrictive legislation. Such legislation becomes vogue in the wake of school shootings and other high-profile cases, chipping away at a fundamental individual right.
States have passed laws exempting themselves from such legislation. In Kansas, for example, the state passed a law exempting firearms made in Kansas, which never leave the state, from federal gun laws and making it a felony for any federal agent to attempt to enforce federal gun laws within the state.
However, the controversy isn't so much about guns and healthcare. It's about the federal government reserving to President Obama those powers which rightfully belong to the state.
Most of these efforts are doomed to defeat in the courts, but still they send a powerful message to the Obama regime. Stop trampling on state's rights!
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- 'Shared responsibility payment' in Obamacare tax hides veiled threat
- California Senator faces 400 years in prison on corruption charges
- Leaked document shows NSA spied on trade talks, U.S. lawyers
- First medical doctor in Texas suspended under new abortion law
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?