Investigation reveals Tea Party applications sent to Obama appointee
Letter raises new questions about IRS corruption.
A letter sent by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Ways and Means reveals that Tea-Party tax-exempt applications were sent to Obama's only political appointee in the IRS, William Wilkins. The revelation raises more questions about Obama's knowledge and role in the entire affair.
At the head of that that department was William Wilkins, the IRS Chief Counsel, and an Obama appointee.
The involvement of the Chief Counsel matters. The Tea Party applications were delayed by that office at a critical time, when the Tea Party was coalescing to provide support to conservative political candidates. However, by blocking or delaying tax exempt status for many organizations the IRS was able to keep many of them off the books, and unable to raise money or meaningfully participate in the 2012 elections.
Investigators want to know if Obama was aware that Tea Party applications were being systematically targeted and to which degree applicants and their associates were being, quite literally, harassed.
It has already been established that top officials within the IRS knew about the behavior and that Obama's Chief of Staff Denis McDonough also knew about the scandal before it was exposed in the media.
However, the presence of an Obama political appointee at the top of the IRS receiving these applications for his own perusal, casts more doubt on Obama's plausible ignorance of the entire scandal.
If Obama knew such a thing was happening and did nothing to stop it, then it would make him culpable in a major scandal which had no less an impact than to deny people their First Amendment rights.
Meanwhile, there appears the be underway an effort to suggest that other non-profit, non, Tea- Party groups were also subjected to similar scrutiny. Although this is doubtful, for why would they open by apologizing for doing nothing wrong, but even if true it only magnifies the problem rather than minimizing it.
The nature of the harassment and ridiculousness perpetrated by the IRS is so outrageous that we should be angry no matter who suffered their behavior, even if their political leanings were opposite that of the Tea Party.
No IRS official should be drunk with power to the point they abuse their authority and deprive citizens of their First Amendment rights.
The investigation continues.
Read the letter here.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Oops, we didn't think of that! Utah may pull NSA plug by cutting water supply to facility
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?