USA spying on Brazil, other allies in Latin America - Why?
Unknown if other countries are complicit or unaware.
Today's Snowden bombshell is a revelation that the United States has been spying on Latin American countries, including allies such as Brazil, Colombia, and Mexico. A Brazilian paper has run a report, with information allegedly from Edward Snowden, explaining that the U.S. intelligence dragnet includes these countries among others.
It's unclear if Brazil is an accomplice or a victim in the U.S. spying operation, but with the cooperation of their telecoms, they're likely an ally.
Venezuela, vilified for the late Hugo Chavez and its alignment with U.S. enemies such as Iran, has received particular scrutiny.
Mexico has also been a target of foreign surveillance, surprising because the country is already a close American ally. The NSA has shown a keen interest in the nationalized oil industry, which is closes to foreign investment.
According to O Globo, the U.S. intelligence gathering activities were performed with the cooperation of U.S. and Brazilian telecom companies. This suggests that these governments may have also been complicit in the operation, just as it was revealed yesterday that several European countries were cooperating extensively with the U.S. Ironically, countries such as France and Germany, that blasted the U.S. government for spying, were revealed to be significant partners in the American surveillance program.
Brazilian officials have denied government involvement in any U.S. surveillance operation.
U.S. authorities say they are only collecting the same data that other countries collect, for security purposes.
What is becoming clear is that world governments, led by the United States, are spying on their own citizens, as well as one another, in the name of fighting the war on terror. However, in creating such a surveillance net, the terrorists have gained a great victory. Today, our governments now have the means to terrorize us with mass surveillance, intimidation, drones, and the like. Who needs al Qaeda anymore?
Is it happening? Not in the perception of mainstream Americans, but the apparatus of tyranny is already in place. This is what whistle blowers like Snowden are trying to tell us. The NSA, the IRS, and more are already in position to exercise unprecedented power over the American people.
Some, particularly Catholics, may argue that the persecution has already started. The unethical and possibly unconstitutional HHS contraceptive mandate is just one example. The IRS harassment of conservative groups is another.
However, most Americans dismiss much of these red flags as the complaints of right-wing Cassandras, who enjoy little sympathy or credibility. Yet, it is a very short interval down the slippery slope to the rest of America.
Someday we may even look back at the Obama presidency as "the good old days." If you don't think that can happen, then you're not paying attention.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Human Dignity and Culture: Time for 'Radical' Christian Action
- Fiercely democratic Oregon only signs up 44 people for Obamacare
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?