Obama tells Charlie Rose Americans are uninformed on NSA program. So why doesn't he inform us?
Obama insists program isn't spying on Americans.
According to President Obama, Americans are "not getting the complete story" on PRISM, the comprehensive spying program conducted by the National Security Administration. So, why doesn't Obama provide the complete story?
"The public may not fully" understand them, Obama told Rose. "That can make the public kind of nervous, right?"
Obama insisted that American citizens are not being spied upon on an individual basis and that phone calls of American citizens are not being recorded. However, according to Snowden, the whistleblower who leaked the existence of the program to the world, any phone call can be tapped, even the president's. The level of permission needed to conduct such surveillance is also quite low.
Obama insists the permission level is high.
Obama explained, "if you're a U.S. person, then NSA is not listening to your phone calls, and it's not targeting your emails, unless it's getting an individualized court order."
Officials have confirmed that the court doesn't turn down many orders. Obama credited this to professional scrutiny beforehand, "folks don't go with a query unless they've got a pretty good suspicion."
Somebody is lying.
"So on this telephone program," Obama said, "you've got a federal court with independent federal judges overseeing the entire program. And you've got Congress overseeing the program - not just the intelligence committee and not just the judiciary committee - but all of Congress had available to it before the last reauthorization exactly how this program works."
Obama professed that he has directed the NSA to determine what aspects of the program can now be revealed to the public without compromising the effectiveness of the program. At some future point then, we can expect Obama to share more information about PRISM and how it works.
However, Congressional officials also appear surprised by the program and they're most keen on how it appears to operate with little oversight. Congressional hearings have also revealed that NSA officials have been lying about the true nature of the program.
Americans are being caught up in the broad strokes of surveillance and this could violate the 4th Amendment rights of millions.
Of course, defenders of the program point to the 50 or more terror attacks they claim the program has foiled. We have no proof that any attacks have been prevented, only the word of program officials.
We have to make decisions about how much classified information and how much covert activity we are willing to tolerate as a society," Obama said.
Yes we do. And to help make that decision, we need the truth, which we're unlikely to get from the current administration, given its track record.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Federal judge declares NSA's collection of domestic phone records unconstitutional
- Shocking! Sebelius tells truth: YES, Obamacare will cost you more.
- The Collapse of Culture Calls for 'Radical' Christian Action
- Sibelius grilled over lie to committee, tells everyone to look up information for themselves
- Fiercely democratic Oregon only signs up 44 people for Obamacare
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?