Secret Budget Document: 30 year Deficit is $106,954,000,000,000
Senator Ron Johnson says Obama is using 'bully pulpit'
Senator Mark Johnson and his fellow Senate Republicans began working last month alongside top White House officials to define how big the Medicare problem really was. Their proposal is to agree on the size of this particular entitlement program before tackling the reforms that would solve it. Officials were rattled at the sheer amount of debt Medicare has racked up. Originally set at around $4 trillion, it was learned that the debt was set at $106 trillion.
In the meantime, White House chief of staff Dennis McDonough, congressional liaison Rob Nabors along with other Obama officials has reiterated that U.S. President Barack Obama's position that the purported $4 trillion in deficit reduction would basically solve the problem for now.
GOP deficit projections, as prepared by Johnson and obtained by National Review Online have revealed the true size of the problem. It's disconcerting considering the many seasoned budget negotiators involved.
The deficit amount is so huge that some controversial reforms appear inconsequential in comparison. Take Obama's "chained CPI" proposal: it would save an estimated $89 billion over ten years, or 1.3 percent of the total deficit over those same ten years.
The Senate GOP projection is for 30 years, which encompasses the retirement of the baby boomers, a far more significant problem than the deficits of the past few years.
"In all of these budget negotiations, we're really trapped by this ten-year budget window, which, truthfully, minimizes the problem," Johnson said.
CBO's long-term budget outlook offers two estimates: the "baseline" scenario and "alternative fiscal scenario."
Baseline is according to current law; including all of the gimmicks Congress has put in current law to game their CBO scores. Under this premise, the debt will slowly go down without Congress having to do anything, which is highly unlikely.
The other scenario is more realistic. In it, debt begins to really ramp up around 2025, and quickly becomes unwieldy - even insurmountable - by 2040, when the graph ends.
President Obama made something of an admission in his speech at the Jefferson Hotel in March.
"The problem you have reforming Medicare is that for every dollar Americans pay into the system, they're going to get three dollars out in benefits. Americans don't understand that," Obama said.
"You're right about Medicare. We've been quoting that exact same study," Senator Ron Johnson responded, according to attendees. "We're pretty small little voices compared to your platform. It would be enormously helpful if you use that bully pulpit and start telling the American people the truth."
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Human Dignity and Culture: Time for 'Radical' Christian Action
- Fiercely democratic Oregon only signs up 44 people for Obamacare
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?