Senate Majority Leader effectively kills amendment on immigration
Harry Reid tables amendment, fording an up-or-down vote
Formally killing an amendment to the immigration bill, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) made a move to nullify a stipulation from Senate Judiciary Committee Ranking Member Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA). The amendment required border security before America's at least 11 million illegal immigrants are granted amnesty.
Henceforth, a vote for Harry Reid's motion is a vote against securing the border before amnesty and a vote against Reid's motion is a vote for securing the border before granting amnesty.
Henceforth, a vote for Reid's motion is a vote against securing the border before amnesty and a vote against Reid's motion is a vote for securing the border before granting amnesty.
The Senate Reference guide describes a motion to table as: "The motion is used to dispose quickly of questions the Senate does not wish to consider further."
Reid's motion to table the amendment passed 57-43, with Gang of Eight Republican Sens. John McCain (R-AZ). Marco Rubio (R-FL), Jeff Flake (R-AZ) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC) voting with Reid. Democrat Sens. Joe Manchin and Mark Pryor voted against Reid in favor of border security before amnesty, as did Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH). Ayotte had previously indicated support for the Gang of Eight bill.
Reid's decision comes during the first week of debate on what will likely drag on until close to the Fourth of July recess. Losing Grassley's support up front on process is dangerous for Reid, too, as Grassley is a key Republican leader on issues that involve immigration.
Grassley argued this week that the "so-called open and fair process" the Democrats and the "Gang of Eight" Republicans have promised "is a farce . This is not the right way to start off on a very important bill," Grassley said.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Oops, we didn't think of that! Utah may pull NSA plug by cutting water supply to facility
- Small businesses will have to wait: Obama delays coverage to businesses for a year
- No surprise: EPA prepares fresh stack of over 130 new regulations
- Supreme Court to Hear New Cases Challenging Constitutionality of Obamacare Mandate
- NSA monitoring pornography Web sites of suspected troublemakers
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?