Work harder! There are now only 13 workers for each disability recipient
Record number of recipients dependent on benefits.
The number of Americans receiving disability benefits has almost reached 11 million as of April. According to CNS News, that's more people than live in the country of Greece.
According to CNS News, the record number of recipients exceeds the total population of Greece, a country that is facing economic troubles due in part to decades of lavish spending on social services.
The numbers reported by the Social Security Administration include 8,865,586 disabled workers, their 1,936,236 children, and 160,710 spouses who are also receiving benefits.
The rise in the number of disability claims has several factors. Fraudulent claims have increased because of slow economic conditions, however these claims are typically weeded out before they are paid. More common is the lack of affordable, quality health care, which leaves many workers disabled because they defer treatment or receive inadequate care.
Still, the number of workers to recipients has reached a troubling ratio. Using records dating back to December, 1968, CNS News explains there was a ratio of 52 workers to each recipient. Today, with that ration at an all-time low of 13 to 1, it is easy to imagine that something has gone horribly wrong in our nation.
Despite advances in workplace safety and overall working conditions, as well as medical improvements over 1968, there remains an astounding and growing number of Americans on disability.
Learning what is behind this increase is key to tackling the issue, a critical first step if America should like to avoid the fate of Greece.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Oops, we didn't think of that! Utah may pull NSA plug by cutting water supply to facility
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?