Work harder! There are now only 13 workers for each disability recipient
Record number of recipients dependent on benefits.
The number of Americans receiving disability benefits has almost reached 11 million as of April. According to CNS News, that's more people than live in the country of Greece.
According to CNS News, the record number of recipients exceeds the total population of Greece, a country that is facing economic troubles due in part to decades of lavish spending on social services.
The numbers reported by the Social Security Administration include 8,865,586 disabled workers, their 1,936,236 children, and 160,710 spouses who are also receiving benefits.
The rise in the number of disability claims has several factors. Fraudulent claims have increased because of slow economic conditions, however these claims are typically weeded out before they are paid. More common is the lack of affordable, quality health care, which leaves many workers disabled because they defer treatment or receive inadequate care.
Still, the number of workers to recipients has reached a troubling ratio. Using records dating back to December, 1968, CNS News explains there was a ratio of 52 workers to each recipient. Today, with that ration at an all-time low of 13 to 1, it is easy to imagine that something has gone horribly wrong in our nation.
Despite advances in workplace safety and overall working conditions, as well as medical improvements over 1968, there remains an astounding and growing number of Americans on disability.
Learning what is behind this increase is key to tackling the issue, a critical first step if America should like to avoid the fate of Greece.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Huckabee: 'If this nation forgets our God, then God will have every right to forget us'
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- 'Shared responsibility payment' in Obamacare tax hides veiled threat
- California Senator faces 400 years in prison on corruption charges
- Leaked document shows NSA spied on trade talks, U.S. lawyers
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?