Report: 'Obamacare' will lead to skyrocketing premiums, as high as 200 Percent Possible
Health care reform 'breaks its core promise' to make healthcare coverage affordable
Three congressional committees, after months of exhaustive research have yielded startling news about the dire effects of health care reform, aka "Obamacare." U.S. President Barack Obama's signature legislation could increase health insurance premiums by over 200 percent -- rendering insurance coverage unaffordable for millions of Americans, breaking "its core promise" to make healthcare coverage affordable.
The most costly requirements go into effect in 2014. Households earning as much as $46,000 a year will receive no premium assistance, yet will be forced to accept 'unaffordable' premium increases, the report states.
"Studies and analyses from the Congressional Budget Office, independent actuaries, state insurance commissioners, health plans, benefit consultants, and others have reached the same conclusion: Obamacare will significantly increase premiums," the congressional report states.
"Some estimates show some Americans facing startling premium increases of 203 percent because of the law.
"Higher healthcare premiums are the last thing single young adults and working families can afford. Yet contrary to what the president promised, that is exactly what Obamacare is projected to do."
The most costly requirements go into effect in 2014. Households earning as much as $46,000 a year will receive no premium assistance, yet will be forced to accept "unaffordable" premium increases, the report states.
The Affordable Care Act will be particularly harsh on young Americans ages 21 to 29, as those with individual coverage will see their healthcare premium rise by an average of 189 percent.
In addition, the healthcare reform bill mandates that individuals pay the same premiums regardless of future anticipated medical expenses, leading to sharply increased premium costs for those under 50.
Obamacare also requires that individuals purchase coverage that includes a range of "essential" health benefits, including coverage for preventive services, chronic disease management, and rehabilitative services. This restricts consumers' choice in the design of their health plans as well as adding to their insurance premiums.
The law imposes $165 billion in new taxes and fees on health plans, drug manufacturers, and device makers, and these costs will be largely passed on to consumers in the form of higher premiums.
One study predicts that Obamacare's health insurance tax will boost premiums by more than $7,000 over ten years.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Obamacare, health care reform, premiums, young Americans
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Hillary better be prepared, House Oversight and Government Reform chairman Darrell Issa says
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- 'Planned Parenthood has been far more lethal to black lives than the KKK ever was!' Virginia GOP nominee says
- Food stamps hang in the balance as lawmakers debate cost
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?