Obama orders release of 'upstanding' criminals ahead of sequestration
Obama move could save hundreds of dollars pey day.
President Obama has ordered the release of illegal immigrants held in deportation proceedings by immigration officials (ICE). The Obama administration say the move is to save money ahead of sequestration, an automatic blend of spending cuts to begin on Friday. Opponents say he is releasing criminal offenders onto the streets in an effort to intimidate lawmakers.
An upstanding criminal in ICE custody.
It is these offenders, awaiting deportation, that the Obama administration is releasing. The releases will save money normally spent to house and feed the inmates. However, once back on the street, these offenders may commit new offenses or disappear altogether.
The Obama administration says that deportation proceedings are continuing against these offenders and that they are being moved to different forms of monitoring such as call-ins, in-person visits, and curfews.
They also claim those being released are "low priority individuals, people who pose no risk or danger to society, but rather are upstanding members of their communities."
This raises the question of why they were incarcerated to begin with, and if their illegal status has any bearing on their classification as "upstanding."
Opponents of the release are decrying Obama for releasing hundrteds of people onto the streets in states such as Arizona. The charge is that it serves as a form of political speech and intimidation which is designed to compel Republicans to bow to pressure from the Obama administration to stop the sequestration.
The sequestration is the term used to identify the $85 billion in spending cuts which begin on Friday.
Detaining an illegal immigrant costs between $122 and $164 per day according to immigration officials. It is unclear how much of a dent in the expected $85 billion these releases will make, but the savings should be in the hundreds of dollars, assuming no further crimes are committed.
John Boehner (R-OH) told reporters, "It's hard for me to believe they can't find cuts anywhere else in their agency. I frankly think this is outrageous.letting criminals go free."
But haven't you heard Mr. Speaker? These criminals are "upstanding!"
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Sequestration, Obama, illegal immigration, criminals, upstanding
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Culture of Corruption: Why Obama's misuse of Marines is wrong
- Rubio: Obama's intimidation of tea party groups 'not in isolation'
- Editorial: Is the Scandal Ridden Obama Administration Becoming a House of Cards?
- Obama asks for more money, Marines to protect embassies
- President stands ground against Republican critics
- Eric Holder says he will investigate the IRS for Obama
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?