Opinion: Time for a New Republican Party and New Republican Party Candidates
support of the rights of all people including our first neighbors in the womb was wrong and caused me to leave the once great Party of the working poor, middle class and disenfranchised with which I used to be affiliated.
It was Ronald Reagan - his views, his character, his courage and his manner - which drew me into the Republican Party. He attempted to build a coherent political party. An example of his morally coherent leadership can be read in his wonderful Abortion and the Conscience of the Nation here. The idea that we can ever separate moral issues from fiscal issues is a serious error. There is a moral basis to every political and social concern, including economics.
The Republican Party is once again at a crossroad. What is needed is a New Republican Party and New Republican Party candidates for this hour. I am looking for such men and women. When I find them, I intend to do all I can to help them get elected. I recently wrote about such a candidate, E.W. Jackson, in an article entitled "Let Liberty Light the Way: EW Jackson Becomes a Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia."
E.W. Jackson seeks to secure the nomination and campaign at the side of the gubernatorial candidate, Ken Cuccinelli in my chosen home of Virginia. I end with an example of why I believe that E.W. Jackson is just the kind of "New Republican" needed in this hour. Here is a Press Release he sent out on the day when we remember Roe v Wade.
Jackson Statement on the 40th Anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court Roe v. Wade Decision
E.W. Jackson, Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia, released the following statement in acknowledgement of the 40th anniversary of United States Supreme Court decisions Roe v Wade and Doe v Bolton, which deny unborn children the Right to Life:
"I join with the millions of Americans who remember the nearly sixty million children who are not with us, who are dead because of legalized abortion. Every abortion takes the innocent life of a neighbor in the womb. Whether we will be a nation that respects the Right to Life is the most fundamental issue of our time.
"The Right to Life is the first right, without which there are no other rights. Forty years ago, with the stroke of a judicial pen, seven Justices of the United States Supreme Court consigned an entire class of persons to the status of property. This is the not the first time in our history we have made that terrible mistake.
"Yesterday, my wife and I hosted a breakfast which celebrated the life and values of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. King awakened the conscience of the nation by reminding us of the self-evident truth that all human beings, no matter how invisible we try to make them, have human dignity and worth and the unalienable right to life. Protecting that right is the first duty of civil government and the true mark of civilization.
"As Lieutenant Governor of Virginia I will do all I can to ensure that the Commonwealth of Virginia shines bright the light of life and liberty for all, including children in the womb."
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: dictatorship of relativism, moral compass, Pope Benedict XVI, Governor Bob Casey, Ronald Reagan, E.W. Jackson, Right to Life, Roe v Wade, Marriage, Family, moral basis, Republican, Democrat, Keith A Fournier
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Attorney General approved warrant for Fox reporter's emails
- 'Journalism has been criminalized' Juan Williams declares
- Documents reveal US drone policy is scandalously indiscriminate
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Lois Learner pleads the 5th. Was she the crook behind it or was she following orders from higher up?
- Sick of deception! Democrat threatens IRS with appointment of special prosecutor
- FOURTH OBAMA SCANDAL: Did HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius solicit funds for nonprofit group?
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?