Catholic business wins minor victory against Obama mandate
Family wins temporary halt of Obamacare enforcement.
There's a spot of hope for religious freedom following a decision by the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago to stop the government from enforcing its offensive contraceptive and abortifacient mandate in the face of religious freedom.
Obama has made several changes to the common understanding of the Bill of Rights which has his administration in an all-out battle in the various courts.
The most recent decision involves the case of Cyril and Jane Korte, a Roman Catholic couple who own a construction firm and are seeking to avoid compliance with the edict, which they understand as a violation of their faith.
The 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in their favor on a split, 2 to 1 decision. The court said in its ruling that the government had not justified its "substantial burden" on religious freedom.
Edward White, a lawyer for the Korte family said "Business owners who are objecting to the mandate are not objecting to people using contraceptives, but that they have to arrange for and pay for it. The federal government shouldn't tell business owners they have to contract to buy what they see as immoral services and goods."
However, Judge Ilana Rovner dissented from her colleagues, claiming that the family was "multiple steps" removed from the offensive services because the decision did not involve them. The choices involved involve the doctor, patient, and insurance company, not the family.
However, what Rovner isn't recognizing is that money from the Korte's pocket would be financing all such activity.
The favorable ruling comes just days after Supreme Court Justice, Sonia Sotomayor ruled against granting an injunction to David and Barbara Green, an evangelical couple who owns Hobby Lobby, a successful arts and crafts chain that they managed consistent with Christian principles.
Without the injunction, Hobby Lobby is subject to $1.3 million in daily fines, which began accruing Tuesday.
The debate threatens to divide the nation, which by and large supports religious freedom against the Obama administration which favors free contraceptives, sterilizations, and abortifacients on demand, as part of its sweeping healthcare initiative. Critics have pointed out that services which prevent life and cause death should not be labeled "healthcare."
As of Tuesday, fines have begun accruing for businesses that refuse to comply with Obama's edict. If Obama wins, the fines alone could sink a number of religious organizations in a single stroke.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: 7th US Circuit, appeal, Cyril Korte, Jane Korte, Obamacare, abortion
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Supreme Court: No, you can't ask for proof of citizenship for voter registration
- What happens when the Culture of Surveillance meets the Culture of Corruption?
- Obama tells Charlie Rose Americans are uninformed on NSA program. So why doesn't he inform us?
- Bombshell: Low-level NSA agents can wiretap anyone, even the president, sans warrant
- PRISM precursor programs sparked concerns, potential resignations under Bush
- Facebook, Microsoft reveal number of government requests for your info, but no details
- Whistle-blower Snowden says Obama can still save face after PRISM debacle
- The Culture of Life: Senator Rand Paul gets it right
- Obamacare to cost everybody more than they are paying now
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?