Republicans attempt to bypass Obama and avoid fiscal crisis
Republican attempt to break Obama bottleneck is likelt DOA.
Republicans, fed up with Obama's bottle necking, have initiated their own plan to avert the fiscal cliff. The plan includes a bill that will raise taxes on those earning over $1 million while extending cuts on the rest of Americans.
Given Reid's assessment, it is unlikely that the bill will pass, since it needs 218 votes and the cooperation of at least some of the house democrats.
The vote on the bill will happen this week.
There has been some progress reported in the talks between John Boehner and President Obama, but the two sides still remain at an impasse over how much taxes should be raised on the wealthy, and what cuts should accompany them.
Obama has stymied Republicans by refusing to discuss tax cuts until the Republicans agree to tax hikes.
A failure of the two sides to agree before Jan. 1, will trigger the "fiscal cliff," a collection of automatic spending cuts and tax increases that economists warn will trigger a new recession that could last through most of 2013.
However, the government continues to deficit spend in record-breaking amounts. Within the next few months, it is expected that Obama will ask to raise the debt ceiling, which will increase the burden owed by future generations.
Boehner has informed Obama that he would be pursuing what he calls, "Plan B" legislation.
Obama and leading Democrats have held emergency meetings to discuss how to react to the Republican attempt to break the gridlock.
So far, the Democratic response is to bottleneck everything.
If the two sides can't work out their differences in the next 13 days, your taxes will go up, no matter if you are a millionaire or a pauper. And if you rely on benefits, your benefits will likely be cut too. Ultimately, we all have something to lose if neither side can make reasonable concessions.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Federal judge declares NSA's collection of domestic phone records unconstitutional
- Shocking! Sebelius tells truth: YES, Obamacare will cost you more.
- The Collapse of Culture Calls for 'Radical' Christian Action
- Sibelius grilled over lie to committee, tells everyone to look up information for themselves
- Fiercely democratic Oregon only signs up 44 people for Obamacare
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?