Most states bucking Obamacare, but law will stay
Republcians say they do not have enough information to properly comply with all provisions.
A key provision of Obamacare isn't working as planned with only 15 states planning to set up their own insurance exchanges. This leaves the federal government on the hook to build and pay for the other 35.
The insurance exchanges must be able to connect buyers to sellers, allowing people to shop for their insurance. Insurance purchase is mandatory under Obamacare. In addition to private insurance, those who earn up to 133 percent of the federal poverty level can qualify for Medicare. Under Obamacare, insurance exchanges must be set up in all states before Oct. 1, so all people may apply and obtain coverage by Jan. 1, 2014.
Experts say the final tally of states opting to run their own exchanges could reach as high as 18 before the end of the day.
However, the work of setting up an exchange is daunting and expensive and many states are reluctant to take on the enterprise. Politics are also playing a role with Republican-controlled states complaining about the cost of compliance and the lack of information they need to do the job properly.
Rep. Michael Burgess (R-TX) said, "The uncertain regulatory environment and the overall lack of response from HHS are not encouraging the states or the health plans to move forward."
Still, Obamacare is now the law of the land, and both states and individuals, like it or not, will have to comply with all of its provisions. Some of those provisions, such as theHHS edict mandating employer-funded contraception and abortifacients for women on demand, remain caught up in challenges before the courts.
Regardless of the outcome of those challenges however, Obamacare appears here to stay, no matter how much the Republicans complain.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Human Dignity and Culture: Time for 'Radical' Christian Action
- Fiercely democratic Oregon only signs up 44 people for Obamacare
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?