Rice cries uncle, Kerry considered
Amid controversy, Susan Rice has withdrawn her nomination.
Despite unabashed support from Obama, Susan Rice withdrew her name from consideration as the next Secretary of State. Rice, has been hounded by Republicans that were troubled by her response to the terrorist attacks in Benghazi in September.
Originally, the administration said those attacks were a spontaneous demonstration turned violent, despite obvious evidence and early assessments that they were coordinated terrorist attacks. Those attacks resulted in the deaths of four Americans including the U.S. Ambassador to Libya.
Rice took responsibility for the administration's failure in the face of those attacks, although Obama also made comment during his second debate with Mitt Romney that he was responsible for what happened.
With Republicans looking to block her possible nomination, Obama found himself spending increasing amounts of political capital to keep her viable as a potential nominee.
Rice alter tweeted on her decision, "Those of you who know me know that I'm a fighter, but not at the cost of what's right for our country."
Insiders say that support for her nomination has started to wane in recent days as fiscal cliff negotiations take precedent. Amid this shift in favor, Rice opted to withdraw her name from consideration to spare everyone further turmoil.
Obama said he regretted her withdraw, but was understanding in the face of the circumstances.
Now, attention is turning to John Kerry, the former presidential candidate. Kerry is seen as a safe nomination for the post.
Rice will retain her position as Ambassador to the UN. Obama has already said that he would keep her close in his administration regardless of her decision.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Oops, we didn't think of that! Utah may pull NSA plug by cutting water supply to facility
- Small businesses will have to wait: Obama delays coverage to businesses for a year
- No surprise: EPA prepares fresh stack of over 130 new regulations
- Supreme Court to Hear New Cases Challenging Constitutionality of Obamacare Mandate
- NSA monitoring pornography Web sites of suspected troublemakers
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?