And so it begins, Obama imposes first new taxes
First tax to help pay for Obamacare starts.
The soaking of the rich has begun with the IRS releasing new rules for income taxes affecting the highest earners. Those taxes apply to capital gains and dividends earned by individuals making more than $200,000 per year and married couples earning above $250,000.
Obama is happy these days, his new sources of revenue are on their way.
In a broad, 159-page edict, the rules explain when and how the taxes apply. Other rules released on Friday include a 0.9 percent healthcare tax on the wages of high-income individuals.
The rules take effect on January 1, although the IRS is holding a period of public comment in April. The new taxes will be due in 2014.
According to the Joint Committee on Taxation, and analysis predicts the taxes will raise an estimated $317.7 billion over the next 10 years.
The IRS illustrates in their release just how the tax would apply for an individual. The first $200,000 in income would not be affected by the new taxes, however the money earned above that would be. Specifically, the example depicted an individual with $180,000 in income with an additional $90,000 in investment income. Of that the $70,000 of the investment income would be subject to the new taxes.
The additional taxes consumed by the government will be allocated to government programs including Obamacare. In this way, everyone who pays taxes buys into Obamacare, like it or not, no matter if they have insurance or not.
Unfortunately, the rules are not entirely clear and have left some questions for later. For example, how will rental income be treated?
In any case, the wealthy will pay more, no matter what.
The worse news? This is just the start. A bevy of additional taxes will also hit the wealthy on January 1, as the Bush tax cuts expire - a move that is widely expected to happen.
It's time to start paying.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Obamcare, Obama, taxes, rich, wealthy, cuts, healthcare, IRS
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Hillary better be prepared, House Oversight and Government Reform chairman Darrell Issa says
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- 'Planned Parenthood has been far more lethal to black lives than the KKK ever was!' Virginia GOP nominee says
- Food stamps hang in the balance as lawmakers debate cost
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?