Steven W. Mosher: Sorry, Mr. Vice President, That Is Not a Fact
In disputing Biden's assertions, the bishops' conference pointed out that the mandate has but a very narrow exemption for religious employers
Biden's claim that Catholic-inspired charities like Population Research Institute are not being forced to fund abortifacient contraceptives and sterilizations is simply not true.
FRONT ROYAL, VA. (Population Research Institute) - For me, the most jaw-dropping moment of the vice presidential debate came when Vice President Joe Biden asserted that Obamacare's contraception mandate simply did not exist. Said the VP:
"With regard to the assault on the Catholic Church, let me make it absolutely clear. No religious institution - Catholic or otherwise, including Catholic social services, Georgetown hospital, Mercy hospital, any hospital - none has to either refer contraception, none has to pay for contraception, none has to be a vehicle to get contraception in any insurance policy they provide. That is a fact."
My wife, who was watching the debate with me, can attest to the fact that I just about jumped out of my chair. "That is a blatant lie!" I exclaimed. "PRI will have to either buy insurance that covers contraception, sterilization, or abortion-inducing drugs, or we will have to go on the Obamacare plan that does. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't!"
Republican vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan, who was much calmer during the debate than either Joe Biden or myself, also objected. He pointed out that the American bishops are so unhappy with having their faith and their conscience violated in this way that they are suing the Obama administration.
And it wasn't long after the October 11th debate in Danville, Kentucky, that the American bishops themselves responded to Biden's whopper. In fact, they issued a statement the very next day, criticizing the V.P. for making an "inaccurate statement of fact" about the contraceptive mandate's impact on religious institutions.
Over the past few months, more than 100 plaintiffs, from Catholic and non-Catholic universities, to charitable organizations and private businesses - have filed lawsuits challenging the mandate, arguing that it infringes upon their constitutional right to free exercise of religion.
In disputing Biden's assertions, the bishops' conference pointed out that the mandate has but a very narrow exemption for religious employers. This exemption applies only to non-profit organizations that exist primarily for the inculcation of religious values and both employ and serve primarily members of their own faith.
Therefore, the conference said, any religious charities, hospitals and social agencies that serve all people of any faith - including Georgetown Hospital and the other organizations named by Biden, as well as the Population Research Institute - are simply not covered.
The administration has been talking about making an additional "accommodation" for non-exempt religious organizations like PRI, but this turns out upon examination to be nothing more than an accounting gimmick. PRI and like-minded organizations would still have to pay for sterilization, contraception, and abortifacients indirectly, through increased premiums.
The bishops' conference continues to ask the Obama administration "in the strongest possible terms" to take action that truly removes "the various infringements on religious freedom imposed by the mandate." As do we at PRI.
But it may turn out that the only real solution to the problem is to remove Obamacare - with its mandates, rationing, and death panels - itself.
Steven W. Mosher is the President of the Population Research Institute.
PRI is a 501(c)(3) educational organization. We work to reverse the trends brought about by the myth of overpopulation. Our growing, global network of pro-life groups spans over 30 countries. To date, we have successfully eliminated $790 million in U.S. tax dollars to International Planned Parenthood, UNFPA, and other anti-life aboritionists while redirecting much of this to family friendly programs like Child Survival.
See our current project.
Donate now to directly affect the lives and well-being of mothers and children around the world.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Human Dignity and Culture: Time for 'Radical' Christian Action
- Fiercely democratic Oregon only signs up 44 people for Obamacare
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?