Contempt vote against Attorney General Holder pending
Investigation stems from botched 'Fast and Furious' operation
Charges are being sought against Attorney General Eric Holder in
contempt of Congress. It has been revealed to CBS News that the House
Oversight Committee will vote next week to proceed with the charges.
It's only the fourth time in 30 years that Congress has launched a
contempt action against an executive branch member.
Attorney general Eric Holder allegedly failed to turn over documents subpoenaed in October of last year in the Fast and Furious "gun-walking" investigation.
Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) has reiterated that the Justice Department has refused to turn over tens of thousands of pages of documents, which include documents created after Feb. 4, 2011, when the Justice Department composed a letter to Congress which declared that no gun-walking occurred. The Justice Department has since retracted the denial.
"The Obama Administration has not asserted Executive Privilege or any other valid privilege over these materials and it is unacceptable that the Department of Justice refuses to produce them. These documents pertain to Operation Fast and Furious, the claims of whistleblowers, and why it took the Department nearly a year to retract false denials of reckless tactics," Issa wrote in an announcement. The results of the vote are scheduled for this coming Wednesday, June 20. In the meantime, Issa says the Justice Department can still put a stop to the contempt process immediately by turning over the subpoenaed documents.
Congress' investigation into Fast and Furious is now in its second year.
In the Fast and Furious operation, agents allowed thousands of weapons to "walk" into the hands of Mexican drug cartels in the hope it would somehow help ATF take down a major cartel. This backfired when many of the weapons were used in the murder of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry at the hands of illegal immigrants crossing into Arizona.
Mexican journalists have reported that hundreds of Mexicans have died at the hands of the trafficked weapons. The story was first exposed by CBS News in February of last year.
Democrats on the House Oversight Committee have called the Republicans' move to find Holder in contempt a politically-motivated "witch hunt."
The three previous contempt actions south against an executive branch member began when Congress found EPA administrator Anne Gorsuch Burford in contempt for failing to produce subpoenaed documents in 1983. In addition, the GOP-controlled House Oversight committee found Attorney General Janet Reno in contempt in 1988 for failing to comply with a subpoena on campaign finance law violations. The Democratic-led House Oversight Committee found former White House counsel Harriet Miers and Chief of Staff John Bolton in contempt in 2008 for failing to cooperate with an inquiry into whether a purge of federal prosecutors by the Bush administration was politically motivated.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Why America's Catholics Need an Apocalypse
- Surveillance is 'setting fire' to the Internet, whistle blower Snowden says
- INTERNET TAKEOVER: Senator introduces bill to prevent online takeover from U.N., or foreign power
- Huckabee: 'If this nation forgets our God, then God will have every right to forget us'
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?